[gthomas] The Fith Gospel

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
      Stephen Patterson and James Robinson have a new book on the GTh. Amazon info
      below:

      The Fifth Gospel : The Gospel of Thomas Comes of Age
      by Stephen J. Patterson, James M. Robinson
      Paperback - 128 pages (November 1998)
      Trinity Pr Intl; ISBN: 1563382490 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.36 x 5.54 x
      8.47
      Amazon.com Sales Rank: 774,155
      List Price: $15.00
      Our Price: $12.00
      You Save: $3.00 (20%)
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1563382490/qid=914866983/sr=1-1/002-7
      675820-0960842

      Stephen Patterson also has out:

      The God of Jesus : The Historical Jesus and the Search for Meaning
      by Stephen J. Patterson
      List Price: $20.00
      Our Price: $16.00
      You Save: $4.00 (20%)

      Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.

      Paperback - 256 pages (May 1998)
      Trinity Pr Intl; ISBN: 1563382288 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.86 x 8.92 x
      5.95

      Paul Miller

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
        Paul Miller wrote:

        > Stephen Patterson and James Robinson have a new book on the GTh. Amazon info
        > below:
        >
        > The Fifth Gospel : The Gospel of Thomas Comes of Age
        > by Stephen J. Patterson, James M. Robinson
        > Paperback - 128 pages (November 1998)
        > Trinity Pr Intl; ISBN: 1563382490 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.36 x 5.54 x
        > 8.47
        > Amazon.com Sales Rank: 774,155
        > List Price: $15.00
        > Our Price: $12.00
        > You Save: $3.00 (20%)

        Aaaaw Paul, my first message from the list and ya cost me
        some more book money (g).

        Jack

      • Paul Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 1999
          I recieved Patterson's new book in the mail yesterday. There is really
          nothing new here except for a translation of the Coptic text by Hans-Gebhard
          Bethge and the Berlin Working Group for Coptic Gnostic Writings. This is
          followed by essays from Patterson and Robinson which are general and summary
          in form.
          From the little I have looked at the translation, it seems wordy and forced
          in places. I got the impression they might be using more words than
          necessary in an explanatory translation style.
          I haven't had time to really look at it well. Mike G. could give a more
          informed opinion on the accuracy of the BWG translation. I have become used
          to Meyer's excellent translation I suppose.

          Paul Miller

        • Stevan Davies
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 1999
            > I recieved Patterson's new book in the mail yesterday. There is really
            > nothing new here except for a translation of the Coptic text by Hans-Gebhard
            > Bethge and the Berlin Working Group for Coptic Gnostic Writings. This is
            > followed by essays from Patterson and Robinson which are general and summary
            > in form.
            > From the little I have looked at the translation, it seems wordy and forced
            > in places. I got the impression they might be using more words than
            > necessary in an explanatory translation style.
            > I haven't had time to really look at it well. Mike G. could give a more
            > informed opinion on the accuracy of the BWG translation. I have become used
            > to Meyer's excellent translation I suppose.
            >
            > Paul Miller

            Can you give us a variety of examples of their translations?
            [Not illegal to do this for purpose of discussion....]

            Steve