Interview with Christopher Skinner

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 14, 2009
      As a part of the ongoing discussion about Christopher Skinner's book, I have
      now posted the full interview Mike and I conducted with him at:
      http://www.gospels.net/2009/09/14/interview-with-christopher-skinner-about-h
      is-new-book-john-and-thomas-gospels-in-conflict/

      It should provide some further context for the discussion, and it raises a
      number of important topics that I would personally love to see discussed on
      the list. For additional context, I will also be posting a helpful
      bibliography Dr. Skinner prepared to supplement the interview on gospels.net
      soon.

      Best,
      Andrew

      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 20, 2009
        > So now we have 4 cases of 24, including a Coptic one. Maybe my idea of
        > the 'Egyptian' background for explaining the interest in '24' in Gthom
        > was > not that bad a guess?

        But why bother with something that we can only guess at? Seems to me
        that where the interest came from is probably undecidable (since there's
        several possible sources), but that it's not all that important anyway.
        I think it's sufficient to show that Coptic GTh does have an interest in
        the number 24 (among others), wherever that came from. Unnecessary
        speculation does little but divert attention from the factual findings,
        IMO. And since the factual findings run strongly counter to widespread
        beliefs about the Coptic GTh, the case needs to be built as rigorously
        and with as few unnecessary complications as possible.