Re: [GTh] hidden structure of Gthom revealed

  • Ariadne Green
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 12, 2009
      Hi Jeff,
      Because I haven't approached the GTh in groupings of logia it is
      difficult for me to see your logic.
      I am an amateur astrologer and written on astrology including the
      astrology of Jesus, who by the way was an Ingress Aries born on the
      Vernal Equinox 07BC.
      However, I don't see that because Lion is mentioned 7 times in the
      saying, it can be construed that the saying was constructed to have an
      astrological significance. If any of the sayings were related to the
      science of astrology, I think it would be saying 91.

      He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you
      have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not
      know how to examine the present moment."

      Examining the "face of heaven" could include astronomy and astrology
      of course.

      I understand how you have grouped the sayings, but other groupings or
      classifications could be made which could be argued with as much
      excitement.
      Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and at other times we
      can't see the individual trees for the forest. I am at the place where
      I am examining each tree to assimilate its beauty and wisdom and
      trying to find if any tree surgery had been done:)
      I will agree with you that much of the Gospel of Thomas points us to
      our truer self, our spiritual and divinely human aspects to experience
      the mystery of the kingdom within and unity with God,
      If you are suggesting that GTh was written in such a way as to suggest
      that Jesus was merely a character or archetype mirroring the truer
      self of the reader, I doubt it. I think Jesus was a real person who
      wrote much of what is in the GTh.
      Ariadne Green
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 20, 2009
        > So now we have 4 cases of 24, including a Coptic one. Maybe my idea of
        > the 'Egyptian' background for explaining the interest in '24' in Gthom
        > was > not that bad a guess?

        But why bother with something that we can only guess at? Seems to me
        that where the interest came from is probably undecidable (since there's
        several possible sources), but that it's not all that important anyway.
        I think it's sufficient to show that Coptic GTh does have an interest in
        the number 24 (among others), wherever that came from. Unnecessary
        speculation does little but divert attention from the factual findings,
        IMO. And since the factual findings run strongly counter to widespread
        beliefs about the Coptic GTh, the case needs to be built as rigorously
        and with as few unnecessary complications as possible.