Chris Skinner's Book

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
      Author and list-member Chris Skinner has arranged with his
      publisher Wipf and Stock for a special discount of 40% on his
      recent (Jun 09) book _John and Thomas - Gospels in Conflict?_
      (subtitled "Johannine Characterization and the Thomas Question")
      In its email to Andrew Bernhard and myself, W&S says:

      > Customers can receive a 40% discount off the retail price
      > by entering the coupon code [SKINNER] at checkout, when
      > the book is purchased through our website. The coupon code
      > will be active through the end of September. Below is a direct
      > link to the book's page:

      http://wipfandstock.com/store/John_and_ThomasGospels_in_Conflict_Johannine_Characterization_and_the_Thomas_Question

      The website indicates a retail price of $30 and a discount price
      of $24, which is 20% off. The special discounted price of 40%
      off should result in a cost of $18. Whether there are additional
      shipping costs, or whether the book can be obtained elsewhere
      at lower overall cost, I don't know.

      This does not constitute an endorsement of the views contained
      in Chris' book, nor is it necessary to buy the book to participate
      in the discussions we'll be having after an interview that Andrew B.
      and I conducted via email with Chris appears on Andrew's website,
      which will be after Labor Day. I think, though, that the book is an
      important contribution to the on-going debate about the relationship
      between the gospels of John and Thomas. Andrew and received review
      copies today, and although I haven't had time yet to peruse it thoroughly,
      I can tell you all already that it isn't an easy read, so be warned of
      that.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2009
        Hmm-

        This is the story of my life. A discount shows up AFTER I paid full retail
        for the book.

        On the other hand, after a quick first read, it was worth every nickel I
        paid for it if for no other reason than that it has a marvelous overview of
        the trajectory of Thomas studies (most especially for folks who are
        foot-note chasers as I am).

        On yet another hand (keeping in mind that I have only two) I'm reserving
        comment on the remainder of Chris's monograph until I have had a chance to
        digest it a little more. In any case, I'm pretty sure there is a lot of
        grist for the mill of discussion in what he wrote.

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman