Number of the Beast Video

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
      Mark Goodacre has put up a video on his NT Blog today that
      ties in nicely with a number of things I've said about Coptic
      Gos.Thom. over the years:

      http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Number%20of%20the%20beast

      Titled "Number of the Beast: 666 or 616: how does it work?", the video
      describes how the number 666 corresponds to 'Nero Caesar' in Hebrew,
      and how the number 616 (found on a papyrus fragment of Revelation at
      Oxyrhynchus) corresponds to 'Gaius Caesar' (i.e., Caligula) in Greek.
      The "how does it work" is the same in both systems. Although there
      were differences between Greek and Hebrew as to which letter was
      assigned to which number, the systems were basically the same, both
      being three-tiered decimal systems (the zero, which they didn't have,
      isn't necessary for a decimal system). Thus, in both systems, each name
      and word had a number associated with it. At one point the narrator says
      "The ancient world loved puzzles." Plenty of that in Coptic Gos.Thom.,
      I'd say.

      Mike Grondin
    • Roger Mott
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
        Hi Mike,

        The premise that 616 stands for Gaius Caesar is a stretch IMO. The reason was that Caligula reigned from 37-41 CE, a period where Christians were relatively free from persecution (but not for Caligula's relatives). Saul and Caiaphas raised havoc with the Christians before 37 CE and Herod Agrippa I killed John's brother James c 44 AD.

        Of course, if John was reflecting on the invasion of Judea by Gaius Julius Caesar during Jewish BCE days, then Gaius Caesar as 616 could be the beast of Jewish folklore.

        But I still think it is the beastly Nero that was on John's mind so the "original" Greek and Latin accounts had the number 666.

        Roger Mott
        Loveland, Co
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
          Further information on this subject is provided by Mark Goodacre
          in his audio/podcast:

          http://podacre.blogspot.com/2009/08/nt-pod-8-alternative-number-of-beast.html

          ... in which Mark observes that Nero could have been referred to
          in Hebrew by either 666 or 616, depending on the spelling of
          his name (666 with final 'N', 616 without). The matter of spelling
          and others is described quite well in the Wikkipedia article
          "Number of the Beast":

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast#cite_note-nero2-1

          See especially sections on Nero and Caligula, if this link doesn't
          take you directly there. Thanks to Mark for answering the questions
          I posed on his blog.