RE: [GTh] Adventures in Cyberspace

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
      Mike,

      The video you found is part of a BBCFour (ie part of the British
      Broadcasting Commission) TV program, so it's definitely of professional
      quality. It has definitely not been put up on YouTube by the BBC, though -
      doesn't have any intro or credits to say who the man in the hat is etc. It's
      most likely to have been taped off the TV, edited and uploaded, but the
      BBCFour logo can still be seen in the top left of the picture.

      It's an interesting video. It struck me as odd, though, that the man in the
      hat said that we could tell from the fact that so many fragments had been
      found that it was widely distributed. I would have thought that compared
      with the number of fragments of the Synoptics, the number of fragments of
      Thomas was miniscule and not widely distributed at all.

      A little detective work reveals that the man in the hat is Rev Peter
      Owen-Jones, an advertising executive turned Anglican priest. It is taken
      from a series that he did for the BBC on "The Lost Gospels" where he talks
      about the other early gospels and the different kinds of Christianity that
      they represent. The first part can be seen at
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7cQ3BrD5U&feature=related In it, he and
      Bart Ehrman go to the Hummra Dam cliffs where the Nag Hammadi library was
      found and Ehrman tells the story of the discover of the library. It's highly
      likely that you can buy a legal copy of it. :-)

      I was aware of Technorati, but haven't previously looked around it to see
      how they tag things. Thanks.

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
      http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
      email: jredman@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
        Sorry folks,

        I hit send before I trimmed the unnecessary text from my response to Mike's
        post.

        Even moderators make mistakes, but ours go straight through to the list. :-)