Monthly Report for July

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      July was another good month for our list, exceeding our
      2001-2008 adjusted monthly average for the third month
      in a row. Our monthly total of 44 messages also exceeded
      that of Crosstalk, enabling us to overtake them in year-to-
      date total messages, 316 to 305. These figures are due
      in no small part, I think, to the excitement that's been
      generated by our discussions of Chris Skinner's new book
      on the figure of Thomas in the Gospel of John. Ideally, one
      would look to the Johannine-Literature group to provide
      cross-elist discussions on that topic, but sadly the John-Lit
      group has experienced very low activity since 2005. In any
      case, there are plans afoot both for here and for Andrew
      Bernhard's blog gospels.net to increase internet visibility
      of the John-Thomas debate and its various participants.

      On a less cheerful note, I wish to apologize for my recent
      remarks singling out Ron and Roger as transgressors of list
      protocols for quoting material. They're not the only ones, and
      in any case it was thoughtless of me to say anything that would
      publicly embarass list members. I should be the one embarassed
      for not handling it properly, and I am.

      Ron and I have discussed the matter offlist, and there may be
      some confusion about the protocol in question. Last February,
      I tried to provide some guidelines in the following message:

      The most important thing to remember, I think, is to NEVER
      copy the entirety of another message unless it's very short.

      Best wishes to all,
      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI, USA