RE: [GTh] NBX, WBX, ETC

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2009
      Hi Mike (Grondin)

      FWIW, I concur with your suggestion about the insider/outsider dichotomy.
      I'm not sure if you have ever had a chance to read it or not, but the
      introduction to Malina and Rorhbaugh's _Social Science Commentary on the
      Gospel of John_ (Fortress, 1998) has an excellent, but basic, discussion on
      not only insider/outsider societies, but also on the ways that language is
      used by insiders to, if not "hide" from outsiders, at least differentiate
      themselves.

      Given the absence of narrative context in GTh, and the possibility that what
      we see now reflects a multitude of traditions, it is quite obviously
      difficult to extract a whole lot of information about the social setting of
      the collection HOWEVER, an intensive examination of the structure and
      language of **C**Gth may tell us something about the context in which it
      reached its current form.

      Or not.

      Rick