RE: [GTh] NBX, WBX, ETC

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2009
      Hi Michael-

      Your suggestion that the "purpose" of the Gospel of Thomas was to meet some
      proselytizing requirement puts you in the company of lots of other folks.
      Inevitably, when questions about the "purpose of the Gospel of Thomas" is
      asked, answers similar to yours are the conventional responses. Leaving
      aside the matter of whether or not this majority response is correct, I can
      only say that the question I am trying to ask is more related to form, not
      to function. Of course that question itself is subject to multiple
      qualifiers: **if** there exists in CGth some formal structure (such as NBX,
      WBX or something else) can we identify that structure? **If** we can
      identify such structures, can we infer some motive on the part of the CGth
      composer for arranging the text in a particular way?

      As an aside, and as a kind of preliminary report, I'll just mention that so
      far I have found in CGth about 413 instances of 3 letter words that are
      candidates for the "middle term" in a chiastic structure such as the one
      that Mike has identified in the incipit. However, lest excitement build too
      quickly, no more than 37 of those occurrences seem (at least preliminarily)
      to qualify as analogies to the pattern in the prologue (based on a
      preliminary examination of the words that precede each of the candidates).
      I'll need to do a bit more analysis to see if any of the remaining 37
      "middle terms" are surrounded by a series of words that exhibit the
      structure of the chiasm at the beginning of the text. I should also say that
      even if this particular analysis does not demonstrate the pattern we are
      looking for, there remains the possibility of other chiastic elements being
      present around middle terms of 4, 5 or even 6 letters. Determining that will
      of course take considerable time to accomplish.

      Rick Hubbard

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2009
        Hi Mike (Grondin)

        FWIW, I concur with your suggestion about the insider/outsider dichotomy.
        I'm not sure if you have ever had a chance to read it or not, but the
        introduction to Malina and Rorhbaugh's _Social Science Commentary on the
        Gospel of John_ (Fortress, 1998) has an excellent, but basic, discussion on
        not only insider/outsider societies, but also on the ways that language is
        used by insiders to, if not "hide" from outsiders, at least differentiate
        themselves.

        Given the absence of narrative context in GTh, and the possibility that what
        we see now reflects a multitude of traditions, it is quite obviously
        difficult to extract a whole lot of information about the social setting of
        the collection HOWEVER, an intensive examination of the structure and
        language of **C**Gth may tell us something about the context in which it
        reached its current form.

        Or not.

        Rick