Re: [GTh] IH and IS Again (Addendum)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2009
      Although it wasn't immediately pertinent to my previous
      note, I might have mentioned that the sum of the parts
      of 210 is 366. It wasn't too long ago that I wrote of the
      connection this latter number might have had to Ap.John.
      As might be recalled, the value of the made-up name
      ABRAXAS/ABRASAX was 365, and this character was
      associated in the Basilidean system with fate. Although
      ABRAXAS isn't mentioned in Ap.John, the number 365
      is. It's the number of angels in Yaltabaoth's domain:

      "This [Yaltabaoth] is the first archon ... [NHL, p.110]
      "And the archons created seven powers for themselves,
      and the powers created for themselves six angels for
      each one until they became 365 angels." [p.111]

      Steve Davies has unravelled the mathematics of this
      in his book _The Secret Book of John, Annotated and
      Explained_, to which I made some modest contribution.
      For our purposes, note first the theme of "sixes and sevens"
      which occurs here (and then reflected again in the number
      of the shortest saying in CGTh, logion 42, which also happens
      to contain the 42nd instance of IS). Secondly, Ap.John is
      consistent with Basilides in associating the number 365 with
      fate. When the text then later talks about IS breaking the
      bonds of fate and freeing folks from their worldly prison,
      the numbers implicitly support that. The sum of the parts
      of 210 is 366, while the number of angels ruling the world
      is only 365. (Lord knows how leap-year would have screwed
      with their thinking, had they had it. :-)

      Cheers,
      Mike G.