Re: [GTh] Re: Origen and Thomas 6: On Thomas 74

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2009
      On May 18, 2009 6:07 PM, jmgcormier <cobby@...> wrote:
      >Interesting that the "original editors" (???) of Coptic Thomas
      >would seemingly find $WNE to be a probable corruption. Do we have
      >irrefutable proof that the Nag Hammadi version of Thomas was not
      >scribed by someone who may have known both Coptic and (say) Hebrew,
      >Aramaic or perhaps even Greek ... and accordingly have meant
      >"illness" ??? ... and perhaps more importantly that perhaps the
      >"illness" and "pool" connection in Thomas is not somehow inspired
      >from (say) the John 5.2 reference to the "illness" and "pool"
      >connection in the healing of the paralytic ???? (Well, at least
      >for us late daters who would embrace the idea that John preceeded Thomas ... )

      By "original editors" I mean the scholars who first published the
      Coptic text in the late 1950s.

      The reason why scholars think the text is corrupt is that it does
      not make sense as written -- a circumstance, by the way, that is
      not uncommon among ancient manuscripts in general.

      If you're interested in "irrefutable proof," then you probably
      shouldn't be doing ancient history. We are often forced to make
      judgments on evidence and arguments far short of "irrefutable proof."

      I don't see how supposing a scribe's knowledge of Hebrew, Aramaic, or
      Greek helps us with the problem that the "illness" reading does not
      make sense.

      In John 5, the paralytic was in the pool, not in the illness. Aside
      from the concepts of pool and illness, I don't see any connection between
      Thomas 74 and John 5. Thus, the relative priority of John and Thomas
      would not be helpful, here.

      Stephen Carlson

      --
      Stephen C. Carlson