Re: [GTh] Carlson on GThomas

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
      Many thanks for your note, Judy. I see that you've now posted
      a fine entry to your blog: http://judyredman.wordpress.com/

      Thanks also to Mark Goodacre for a very positive entry in his
      NT blog which I just missed before my recent sojourn:

      http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/stephen-carlson-on-origens-use-of.html

      And to Andrew Bernhard, who added a gracious comment to Mark's entry.

      Whether because of this publicity or not, we have had a most
      welcome small flurry of new members in the last few days.

      One minor correction to Mark's entry: I wasn't the original owner
      of GThomas. That distinction belongs to Paul Miller, who started
      the group in Dec, 1998. I was one of the original moderators, but
      didn't assume ownership until after a rough six-month period during
      which it was being debated (offlist and on) whether the moderators
      should use a strong hand to insure scholarly content, or whether it
      should be left up to peer pressure (which never works, IMO, so you
      can guess which side I was on :-). Eventually, those who wanted to
      discuss GTh in a non-scholarly way formed their own group
      ("gospelofthomas"), and ours became pretty much what it is today.
      Nevertheless, since Mark's account is simpler, not too inaccurate,
      and makes for a better story, it may well outlive mine! (Isn't that
      how these things usually work out? :-)

      Cheers,
      Mike G.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
        A couple of additional notes:

        1. I didn't discover until this morning that Loren Rosson had also
        posted an entry in his blog "The Busybody" Monday. See:
        http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/2009/04/origens-use-of-thomas.html

        Sorry, Loren, didn't mean to slight you. BTW, his and the other blogs
        mentioned earlier can be linked to from
        http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_links.htm

        2. Although in retrospect it seems a fine idea to invite scholars with
        forthcoming Thomas papers to discuss them on our list, I have to
        confess that I didn't initiate the project. The only thing I can claim
        credit for was writing a rather bleak monthly report for March that
        evidently moved Stephen (who is a long-time gthomas member)
        to make his offer to spike up our May content. Of course, I jumped
        at the offer, and am looking forward to see how it works out.

        Cheers,
        Mike
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
          Fellow Thomas scholars,

          Thanks for all your interest in this project, which
          Mike and I discussed as a way of not only promoting
          this mailing list but experimenting with genre to
          see what it's full potential is. I've been very
          heartened by Mike's success with his innovative Regular
          Contributor Program and I wanted to support his efforts
          by sharing some work I'm doing the gospel of Thomas --
          a document that I have been find fascinating precisely
          because of the discussion here and previously on Crosstalk.

          I'll start off tomorrow with an introductory excerpt
          that constitutes a brief description of the paper and
          where it's positioned in the discourse on the gospel of
          Thomas. I'll also mention what I hope we might be able
          to achieve by discussing about it, though one of the
          nice things about mailing lists is that discussions
          can take a life of their own.

          On Monday, I'll have the first substantial excerpt from
          the paper.

          Stephen

          --
          Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2009
            A new and important blog has had some very complimentary
            things to say the last several days. The blog is 'gospels.net'
            and is run by my long-time internet friend Andrew Bernhard.
            Actually, Andrew started his blog in January, but up until April
            30th had been occupied with creating a basic library, which is
            why I had put off adding his blog to my links. On April 30th,
            however, Andrew's blog was unexpectedly listed as #22 in the
            top 50 biblioblogs for April, causing him (as he wrote to me)
            to accelerate his schedule for blog development. Consequently,
            I've now added gospels.net to my blog links, positioned along
            with DeConick's and Redman's blogs as those having strong
            Thomas content. This is not only because of the aforementioned
            entries relative to Carlson on GThomas, but more basically
            because gospels.net is described as "an online resource dedicated
            to the Gospel of Thomas and other early Christian Gospels", which
            indicates ongoing strong Thomas content.

            Ref: http://www.gospels.net/

            Thanks, Andrew.