Carlson on GThomas

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
      I'm pleased to announce a special event to be hosted on our
      list in May. Stephen Carlson has graciously volunteered to post
      excerpts from his upcoming SBL paper "Origen's Use of the
      Gospel of Thomas". We've never done anything like this before,
      so I don't know what to expect, but I hope we'll have the fullest
      participation and discussion possible.

      The abstract of Stephen's paper is on his blog at
      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/labels/Thomas.html

      As far as publicity, I've made an announcement on Crosstalk2
      (ref: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crosstalk2/message/23118)
      (with Jeffrey Gibson's enthusiastic permission), hoping to draw
      participants from there. So far, one eminent xtalker has signed
      on to our list in order to interact with Stephen. (Messages can
      be read without subscribing, but posting requires membership.)
      I also intend to send a message to those 40% our members who
      don't receive email, to alert them to check our message-list as
      this event proceeds. Possibly also a note to April D. to see if
      she'll mention it on her blog. Other ideas for publicity are welcome,
      as this is new to me and I fear I'm not doing the best job of it.
      (Unfortunately, I'll be out of town the next several days, but
      expect to be back by Wednesday evening EDT.)

      On a more personal note, early May marks the end of my
      tenth year of ownership of the gthomas group. As I recall,
      several of the moderators have also been around that long.
      I want to express my appreciation to the moderators past
      and present, and to those who have participated in the Regular
      Contributor program over the past year, for the time and effort
      you've freely given to keep the list going beyond GTh's "fad
      phase" so that the questions still remaining about this text
      and its relatives can continue to be analyzed.

      Cheers,
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
        Mike,

        Thanks so much for organising this - it sounds fascinating. And for keeping
        this list going and on track for ten years!!
        Congragulations.

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia
        ph: +61 2 6773 3739
        fax: +61 2 6773 3749
        web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
        http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
        email: jredman@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
          Many thanks for your note, Judy. I see that you've now posted
          a fine entry to your blog: http://judyredman.wordpress.com/

          Thanks also to Mark Goodacre for a very positive entry in his
          NT blog which I just missed before my recent sojourn:

          http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/stephen-carlson-on-origens-use-of.html

          And to Andrew Bernhard, who added a gracious comment to Mark's entry.

          Whether because of this publicity or not, we have had a most
          welcome small flurry of new members in the last few days.

          One minor correction to Mark's entry: I wasn't the original owner
          of GThomas. That distinction belongs to Paul Miller, who started
          the group in Dec, 1998. I was one of the original moderators, but
          didn't assume ownership until after a rough six-month period during
          which it was being debated (offlist and on) whether the moderators
          should use a strong hand to insure scholarly content, or whether it
          should be left up to peer pressure (which never works, IMO, so you
          can guess which side I was on :-). Eventually, those who wanted to
          discuss GTh in a non-scholarly way formed their own group
          ("gospelofthomas"), and ours became pretty much what it is today.
          Nevertheless, since Mark's account is simpler, not too inaccurate,
          and makes for a better story, it may well outlive mine! (Isn't that
          how these things usually work out? :-)

          Cheers,
          Mike G.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
            A couple of additional notes:

            1. I didn't discover until this morning that Loren Rosson had also
            posted an entry in his blog "The Busybody" Monday. See:
            http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/2009/04/origens-use-of-thomas.html

            Sorry, Loren, didn't mean to slight you. BTW, his and the other blogs
            mentioned earlier can be linked to from
            http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_links.htm

            2. Although in retrospect it seems a fine idea to invite scholars with
            forthcoming Thomas papers to discuss them on our list, I have to
            confess that I didn't initiate the project. The only thing I can claim
            credit for was writing a rather bleak monthly report for March that
            evidently moved Stephen (who is a long-time gthomas member)
            to make his offer to spike up our May content. Of course, I jumped
            at the offer, and am looking forward to see how it works out.

            Cheers,
            Mike
          • Stephen C. Carlson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
              Fellow Thomas scholars,

              Thanks for all your interest in this project, which
              Mike and I discussed as a way of not only promoting
              this mailing list but experimenting with genre to
              see what it's full potential is. I've been very
              heartened by Mike's success with his innovative Regular
              Contributor Program and I wanted to support his efforts
              by sharing some work I'm doing the gospel of Thomas --
              a document that I have been find fascinating precisely
              because of the discussion here and previously on Crosstalk.

              I'll start off tomorrow with an introductory excerpt
              that constitutes a brief description of the paper and
              where it's positioned in the discourse on the gospel of
              Thomas. I'll also mention what I hope we might be able
              to achieve by discussing about it, though one of the
              nice things about mailing lists is that discussions
              can take a life of their own.

              On Monday, I'll have the first substantial excerpt from
              the paper.

              Stephen

              --
              Stephen C. Carlson
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2009
                A new and important blog has had some very complimentary
                things to say the last several days. The blog is 'gospels.net'
                and is run by my long-time internet friend Andrew Bernhard.
                Actually, Andrew started his blog in January, but up until April
                30th had been occupied with creating a basic library, which is
                why I had put off adding his blog to my links. On April 30th,
                however, Andrew's blog was unexpectedly listed as #22 in the
                top 50 biblioblogs for April, causing him (as he wrote to me)
                to accelerate his schedule for blog development. Consequently,
                I've now added gospels.net to my blog links, positioned along
                with DeConick's and Redman's blogs as those having strong
                Thomas content. This is not only because of the aforementioned
                entries relative to Carlson on GThomas, but more basically
                because gospels.net is described as "an online resource dedicated
                to the Gospel of Thomas and other early Christian Gospels", which
                indicates ongoing strong Thomas content.

                Ref: http://www.gospels.net/

                Thanks, Andrew.