[gthomas] Re: #21 and Hemp

  • James Lambert
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 1999
      Mike Grondin wrote:

      <snip>

      > I'm not advocating Patterson's view, but I think you can see the contrast
      > with your own. Almost never does GThom speak literally. Virtually
      > everything is metaphor. So the question becomes one of untangling the
      > symbolism. What would clothes symbolize, for example? Perhaps social
      > stature - clothes were very much the measure of a man (and woman) in those
      > days. Perhaps worldly cares ("don't worry about what you will put on"). Not
      > to say that there might not be some connection between "clothes" and the
      > "field", but it's almost certainly not the rather direct and literal one
      > you propose.

      Maybe, maybe not. I believe that the author is Thomas is showing two
      distinct operations, comparing the workers of vineyards with that of
      hemp fields. I may very well be wrong, but often wrong steps lead to
      progress being made. Think of it as simply an exercise in creative
      thinking.

      Also note that the traditional church did put a lot of time and energy
      into the production of wine. What may have been simply a metaphor
      became impetus for an undeniable reality. If the Gnostics frowned upon
      the drinking of wine they may have wished to channel their followers'
      energy into other forms of cultivation.

      James

      P.S. I just have to point out that in Saying 37, the use of trample
      could very well be seen as a play on words concerning the trampling of
      the grapes in the production of wine:

      His disciples said, "When will you appear to us, and when shall we see
      you?"
      Jesus said,
      "When you strip and are not embarrassed, and you take your
      clothes and
      throw them down under your feet like little children and *trample* them,
      then you will see the Son of the Living One and you will not be afraid.