RE: [GTh] Monthly Report

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2009
      Just wanted people to know that I have been appreciating the efforts of RCs
      to engender conversation but have been in deep lurk mode for quite a few
      months now owing to things that have been going on in my life. The job I
      get paid to do has been horrifyingly demanding and the work I've been doing
      for my doctorate has been much more generalist than specifically GosThom, so
      while I can blog about it, it is "off topic" for this group.

      I agree with Mike's comment about one of the attractions of blogging being
      that the blogger gets to set the agenda, although I'm not sure that this
      makes it more satisfying, just easier for a busy person because you write
      about things that are occupying the centre stage of your thinking at the
      time. On a discussion list, you have to spend time thinking about something
      that has been raised by someone else and trying to come up with a coherent,
      reasoned response thereto. I tend to work on the principle that if I can't
      say something sensible, I should just keep quiet.

      This last is particularly an issue for those of us who are involved in
      academia, I think. If you are wanting to gain or maintain credibility as a
      scholar, you do not want to become known as "the one who posts the poorly
      considered things on GTh."

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
      http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
      email: jredman@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2009
        Hi Judy,

        My take on the latter part of your note is that while I don't expect much
        academic participation here, I would hope that this would be a place where
        academics _could_ come if they wanted to, and feel free to express their
        thoughts without worrying overly much about whether they would be regarded
        as being poorly considered (which isn't to say that anyone should express
        contentious opinions without showing their evidence or reasoning - to my
        mind, that's never in order). Actually, I've heard offhand comments from
        academics at SBL meetings that seemed to me to be poorly considered -
        and spoken before their peers - unlike here, which is probably below the
        radar for most of one's peers. Of course what's acceptable in informal talk
        isn't the same as what's acceptable in written form, but still, this isn't
        a journal, and the low esteem with which it's regarded in academia may
        actually make it a good place to try out ideas, without having to worry
        about one's peers, and without having to do all the exhaustive research
        necessary to determine what every other academic has ever written on
        a given topic. A place to let one's hair down and risk making mistakes -
        or simply changing one's mind from one day to the next. At least that's
        what I regard as the ideal, though the actual dialogue is too often less
        than one might wish - either in quantity or quality. But then again, even
        in the blog world, sometimes you write something brilliant and you never
        hear anything back, sorta like that tree falling in an uninhabited forest.

        Cheers,
        Mike
      • Paul Lanier
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2009
          --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Redman" <jredman@...> wrote:
          > If you are wanting to gain or maintain credibility as a scholar,
          > you do not want to become known as "the one who posts the poorly
          > considered things on GTh."

          Hi Judy,

          I deeply respect and appreciate your concern here. It's one of the reasons I decided against an academic career in the church.

          I would argue that the paths of NT scholarship are necessarily littered with the corpses of poorly considered ideas. And progress would be quicker if we had more!

          Redgards, Paul
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            In my October report, I had expressed the hope that we would
            get 54 messages in November, and, surprisingly, that's exactly
            what happened! That brings the current year to 495 messages,
            which is even par with the goal of 45 messages per month. The
            bad news is that December is typically a slow month (second
            lowest monthly average to February), and we're off to a slow
            start, so it's probably going to be a struggle to hit par for the year,
            unless something comes along like the interaction with Davies, to
            spur our monthly activity. We've already passed 2005 and 2006,
            and need but 18 to pass 2004, so keep up the good work, y'all.
            If you're like me, you've tucked away little things you wanted to
            write about, but something came up and you never did. Why not
            dust 'em off and trot 'em out as a Christmas present to the rest
            of us? They'd be new to us, so we'd never know the difference.

            Best to all,
            Mike Grondin
            Mt. Clemens, MI