[gthomas] Re: Fun -- Correction

  • emmet cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 1999
      Tord wrote:
      >Thinking about the hiding of the NHL in that 4th century clay jar -- one of
      >the first things the police did when they busted me for peyote in the early
      >sixties was to seize my entire library of sacrament related books -- and
      >later destroy them. These sorts of experiences give one first hand
      >knowledge of the powers that the Gnostics were up against.

      What do you think motivated them to do so Tord?
      The battle between the structures of authority and the individual will have
      special relevance (I think), in the quest for understanding of gnosticism.
      Were they motivated by fear because of some muggy association in their minds
      between the disobedience of possessing an 'illegal' substance and the
      unconventionality of being interested in the great questions?
      A kind of: Who does he think he is?
      The destruction of intellectual literature has always struck me as being a
      terrible offence against the search for understanding. I'm horrified to
      think of your personal library being destroyed. Of course, you are over it
      essentially. But what do you think of that violation?

      Can I be a bit facetious too:-)
      Amnesty International? They destroyed my copy of GTh!!
      Think of the publicity!! Everyone would get a copy!!
      Are you prepared to take part in a test-case for the sake of GTh?

      Ah! I see you aren't!! That's why the police destroyed your library!! You
      are an elitist!! You didn't want to share your copy of GTh with the local
      constabulary, so they destroyed it!! GTh Jesus would have fallen over
      laughing at that one!!

      Emmet