[gthomas] GOT #21

  • James Lambert
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 1999
      Hello Paul,

      I am assuming that the following three paragraphs constitute a dialog
      you were conducting with someone else. I would like to add some
      comments, if I am.

      Paul Miller wrote:
      > Paul:
      > > In 21 the removing of clothes is associated with the return of owners of
      > a field that the children have been living in. The children remove their
      > clothing in front of the owners as part of the process of returning control
      > of the field to the owners.

      > As for #21, I'm not sure what the "field" represents, or who "the owners"
      > are. Do you have any intuitions here?-----------
      > Field = World , Owners = Lords , with lords being similar to absent
      > vineyard owner or absent master of a house or absent nobleman in distant
      > country, all in the synoptics and due to return and take possession from
      > caretakers of sorts.

      I'd like to start with a portion of the original saying.

      Mary said to Jesus, "Whom are your disciples like?"
      He said, "They are like little children living in a field that is not
      theirs. When the owners of the field come, they will say, 'Give our
      field back to us.' The children will take off their clothes in the
      presence of the owners, and thus give the field back and return it to
      (GOT 21)

      I have proposed elsewhere that the field may have been of hemp, which if
      memory serves me, was a fairly common crop in the middle east. Hemp has
      a number of uses, rope and textiles among them. Should the field have
      been of hemp, the children would have harvested the crop when it came
      season, whether the owners were there or not.

      "... Let there be among you a person who understands. When the crop
      ripened, a reaper came quickly with sickle in hand and harvested it.
      Whosoever has ears to hear ought to listen."
      (GOT 21)

      So perhaps the children harvested the hemp and made from it cloth, which
      they clothed themselves with. When the owners returned the children
      removed the clothes from their bodies, thereby returning the field to
      the owners.

      There is another aspect of this as well:

      ... "For this reason I say: if the owner of a house knows when a thief
      is coming, the owner will be on guard before the thief arrives, and will
      not let the thief break into the house of the estate and steal the
      (GOT 21)

      Here since the children are wearing the clothes, the thieves would not
      be likely to steal them.

      This can be compared to saying 65, where the workers are in a vineyard
      and not a hemp field. Note that drunkenness is a reoccurring theme in

      Compare also with saying 57, where weeds have been sown with the wheat.
      Later the weeds will be burnt. If we associate hemp with weed this
      takes on an added layer of meaning. The workers are given the
      impression that the weeds are without value.

      In saying 35 we have the hands of the owner being bound with rope,
      another product of hemp. If the hemp is what is of true value than the
      thieves have been foiled again.