Re: [GTh] Thomas and Healing

  • Steven Ring
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 5, 2008

      An observation on your interesting post.

      The two GT logia you quote also resonate strongly with the Manichaean
      system, where the highest caste in that religion, the Kphalpale (Syr.
      ܩܦ̈ܠܦܠܐ = 'Many heads' masc) and the Zaddikatha (Syr. ܙܕ̈ܝܩܬܐ = 'Righteous
      women') would not engage in any way with the secular world but kept
      themselves aloof (L.31), allowing only others to feed them (L.14) and
      claiming to be the only ones who could 'refine the light' in others, a
      concept which might be related to the healing concept in both of these
      GT logia. It was apparently, all the Manichaean leaders were allowed to
      do with their time.
      See the very interesting essay on the Manichaean system written by
      Frances Crawford Burkitt in Mitchell, C. W. 1912. 'S. Ephraim's prose
      refutations of Mani, Marcion and Bardaisan' volume II, beginning on page
      cxxxi. Burkitt draws on many sources, including Ephrem of Nisibis, Titus
      of Bostra, Augustin of Hippo, Theodore Bar Koni, Moshe bar Kepho and
      stoic pagan philosophy.

      So perhaps the 'healing' Thomas refers to, could be a reference to
      Manichaean leaders 'refining the light'? I wonder how well such an
      explanation might account for other references to healing found in the
      GTh? Has anyone ever studied a possible link between the GTh and Manichaism?

      Best regards,

    • Steven Ring
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 11, 2008
        Shlama washayna Jack,

        Your observation about a possible Aramaic idiom around 'they will take
        up serpents' interests me, because it would make sense of this passage.
        Is this an idea based on this passage alone, or are there some other
        Aramaic or Syriac texts somewhere else, which suggested this conclusion
        to you?

        Todi washlama,