RE: [GTh] Re: Son of Man

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
      Mike you say

      > Thanks for the information, Steven. No, I wasn't arguing from
      > an English translation. I never do. In Coptic, the letter 'p'
      > attached to a masculine noun like 'rwme' ('man') represents
      > the definite article 'the'. But if the noun isn't qualified
      > by a who-phrase (as in, e.g., 'the man who came to dinner'),
      > then the definite article functions as an untranslated
      > capitalizer. Thus, in my note, whenever I used 'Man' instead
      > of 'man', the capital 'M' indicated that the word in that
      > context was 'p-rwme', and that it was unqualified.

      Isn't this a bit too definitive? I think you need to say that when there is
      no who-phrase, the p (or t for a feminine noun) *may* function or maybe even
      *often* or *usually* funcitons as an untranslated capitalizer, depending on
      the context. It is certainly possible to use prwme and tpolis in a sentence
      that would be translated "the man visited his brother in the city". To
      translate this as "Man visited his brother in City" would clearly not be
      sensible.

      I think that the problem here is that both translations appear to be
      possible and even in regular use in particular places and times, so the
      reader needs to make decisions about which is the right one in the
      particular context. Although I have not had time to look at the texts in
      question, it would seem to me entirely possible that Thomas might sometimes
      use it as a title and sometimes to indicate "a human being". And, of
      course, what we decide makes more sense in any given context will depend on
      our particular understandings of what kind of text Thomas is - gnostic,
      mystic etc.

      "Politics is the work we do to keep the world safe for our spirituality" -
      Judith Plaskow, Phoenix Rising, 2000

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England Armidale 2351
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      web: http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~jredman2 and
      http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email: jredman2@...
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hi Judy, you wrote:

        > I think you need to say that when there is no who-phrase, the p
        > (or t for a feminine noun) *may* function or maybe even *often*
        > or *usually* funcitons as an untranslated capitalizer, depending
        > on the context.

        Agreed. From within Thomas, I'm reminded of L.78.1 ("Why did
        you come out to the wilderness?").

        > I think that the problem here is that both translations appear to be
        > possible and even in regular use in particular places and times, so the
        > reader needs to make decisions about which is the right one in the
        > particular context. Although I have not had time to look at the texts in
        > question, it would seem to me entirely possible that Thomas might
        > sometimes use it as a title and sometimes to indicate "a human being".

        If we're talking about 'p-rwme', then I think 'Man', 'Humanity', 'Human
        beings', even 'the human being' are pretty much interchangeable, but
        not '_a_ human being', which I wouldn't use for that.

        > And, of course, what we decide makes more sense in any given context
        > will depend on our particular understandings of what kind of text Thomas
        > is - gnostic, mystic etc.

        Oh, I don't know about that. I think one can make these decisions based
        on thematic consistency with other sayings whose meaning is pretty clear,
        without having any particular understanding of what kind of text Thomas is.
        At least, that's what I think I'm doing (:-)

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
          Mike,

          > > I think that the problem here is that both translations
          > appear to be
          > > possible and even in regular use in particular places and times, so
          > > the reader needs to make decisions about which is the right
          > one in the
          > > particular context. Although I have not had time to look
          > at the texts
          > > in question, it would seem to me entirely possible that
          > Thomas might
          > > sometimes use it as a title and sometimes to indicate "a
          > human being".
          >
          > If we're talking about 'p-rwme', then I think 'Man',
          > 'Humanity', 'Human beings', even 'the human being' are pretty
          > much interchangeable, but not '_a_ human being', which I
          > wouldn't use for that.

          I was actually thinking about son of man, but you're right. I don't think
          p-rwme can be *a* human being.

          > > And, of course, what we decide makes more sense in any
          > given context
          > > will depend on our particular understandings of what kind of text
          > > Thomas is - gnostic, mystic etc.
          >
          > Oh, I don't know about that. I think one can make these
          > decisions based on thematic consistency with other sayings
          > whose meaning is pretty clear, without having any particular
          > understanding of what kind of text Thomas is.
          > At least, that's what I think I'm doing (:-)

          Sorry - what I was trying to say (I'm fighting a head cold and not thinking
          as clearly as I might) is that we bring particular assumptions about a text
          to the text and they influence how we translate it because, I think, they
          can influence what we see as pretty clear meanings. At the most general
          level, as was pointed out in the Thomas and Tatian thread, people who
          assume that Thomas is dependent tend to see as obvious that any verbatim
          bits demonstrate that Thomas follows the synoptics, when all that can really
          be said is that the passages are the same. I'm not accusing you of doing
          this, Mike, just saying that we need to be very careful to examine our
          preconceptions when we need to make choices about translation and, indeed,
          in deciding which passages are actually thematically consistent.

          Judy
        • rj.godijn
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
            --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Redman" <jredman@...> wrote:

            > At the most general
            > level, as was pointed out in the Thomas and Tatian thread, people who
            > assume that Thomas is dependent tend to see as obvious that any
            verbatim
            > bits demonstrate that Thomas follows the synoptics, when all that can
            really
            > be said is that the passages are the same.

            Hi Judy,

            I realize your post wasn't really about synoptic-thomas relationship,
            but I really must respond to what you are saying here.

            Scholars who argue for Thomas' dependence on one or more of the
            Synoptics for some of the parallels between Thomas and the Synoptics do
            not necessarily do this because of a canonical bias, they do this
            because the redactional work of one or more of the evangelists can be
            found in Thomas. Obviously it is not always that easy to determine what
            is redactional and therefore it is often possible to come up with
            alternative solutions. Even Stephen Patterson (who favors an
            independence view) agrees that Markan, Matthean or Lukan redaction can
            be found in Thomas in about 10 places (a proponent of the Farrer
            hypothesis would add many more to this list). This should not be
            brushed away so easily. The question of course remains what explains
            these instances? Patterson would favor late scribal harmonization or
            perhaps secondary orality.

            Finding Thomas to be influenced by one or more of the Synoptics also
            does not mean that one considers every parallel between them as a sign
            that Thomas is secondary. It can very well be the case that some of the
            sayings in Thomas are prior to their synoptic parallel. Given the
            popularity of the Synoptic Gospels in the second century it would not
            be at all surprising that some of their sayings were then added to the
            Thomas collection.

            Having said all this I must agree that some (evangelical or
            conservative) scholars are biased against Thomas and will favor Thomas'
            dependence on the Synoptics. The positive and uncritical manner in
            which they responded to Nicholas Perrin's work nicely illustrates this.
            However, this is to be expected, and should not lead to the counter-
            reaction of assuming independence without good evidence.

            Regards, Richard Godijn
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
              Hi Richard,

              You say:

              > Scholars who argue for Thomas' dependence on one or more of
              > the Synoptics for some of the parallels between Thomas and
              > the Synoptics do not necessarily do this because of a
              > canonical bias, they do this because the redactional work of
              > one or more of the evangelists can be found in Thomas.
              > Obviously it is not always that easy to determine what is
              > redactional and therefore it is often possible to come up
              > with alternative solutions. Even Stephen Patterson (who
              > favors an independence view) agrees that Markan, Matthean or
              > Lukan redaction can be found in Thomas in about 10 places (a
              > proponent of the Farrer hypothesis would add many more to
              > this list). This should not be brushed away so easily. The
              > question of course remains what explains these instances?
              > Patterson would favor late scribal harmonization or perhaps
              > secondary orality.

              I realise this. What I wanted to do was raise awareness of the ways in
              which the perspective from which people approach a text, the questions they
              bring to it, if you like, can influence the way they interpret it. So, if
              you approach Thomas asking "what evidence can I find that Thomas is
              dependent on the synoptic material?" you will potentially reach different
              conclusions to the ones you will reach if you ask "are there any passages in
              Thomas that are similar to and/or the same as those in the synoptics and if
              so, what might that mean?" The answer you give, especially to the first
              question will be further influenced by whether or not you have anything
              invested in the outcome. That is, if you want the answer to be "lots of
              evidence" you are more likely to include tenuous evidence. If you want it
              to be "none at all", then you will discard anything that could reasonably be
              considered tenuous.

              > Finding Thomas to be influenced by one or more of the
              > Synoptics also does not mean that one considers every
              > parallel between them as a sign that Thomas is secondary. It
              > can very well be the case that some of the sayings in Thomas
              > are prior to their synoptic parallel. Given the popularity of
              > the Synoptic Gospels in the second century it would not be at
              > all surprising that some of their sayings were then added to
              > the Thomas collection.

              I think it is possible to go back further than this, though, and say that
              the fact that there are parallels between Thomas and the synoptics does not
              mean that Thomas is necessarily influenced by one or more of the synoptics.
              It may be that the influence went in the other direction, or that they
              shared a common source for that particular passage. Of the material that I
              am studying (ie the parables of the kingdom/reign in Thomas that have
              parallels in the synoptics) only one is close to verbatim - the parable of
              the mustard seed - and it is an anomally. It is the only one in Thomas that
              compares the kingdom/reign to an object rather than to a person.

              > Having said all this I must agree that some (evangelical or
              > conservative) scholars are biased against Thomas and will
              > favor Thomas'
              > dependence on the Synoptics. The positive and uncritical
              > manner in which they responded to Nicholas Perrin's work
              > nicely illustrates this.
              > However, this is to be expected, and should not lead to the
              > counter- reaction of assuming independence without good evidence.

              No, indeed. Good evidence is essential, but I think you get good evidence
              by asking the right questions in the first place. That's certainly true
              when you're questioning eyewitnesses.

              Judy
            • Paul Lanier
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Redman" <jredman@...> wrote:

                > we bring particular assumptions about a text to the text and they
                influence how we translate it because, I think, they can influence
                what we see as pretty clear meanings.

                Hi Judy,

                I agree, and would add that two biases apply to any historical
                reconstruction: the bias of the historian, and the general social
                paradigms of the intended readers. I think most historians would agree
                there is no such thing as a truly objective history. Recognizing the
                bias of the historian and her or his culture is a necessary basis for
                interpretation of the historian's work.

                Of course, by the law of accretion, texts which elaborate on a simpler
                text are probably later. This can lead to a reasonable presumption of
                dependency.

                It is of course possible (although far less likely) that an elaborated
                text is the earlier one. I would suggest that sort of argument is more
                of an apologetic, because it seeks to preserve doctrine by proposing
                how a much less likely event could still have occurred.

                regards,
                Paul Lanier
              • rj.godijn
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                  --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Redman" <jredman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Richard,
                  >
                  > You say:
                  > >
                  > > Scholars who argue for Thomas' dependence on one or more of
                  > > the Synoptics for some of the parallels between Thomas and
                  > > the Synoptics do not necessarily do this because of a
                  > > canonical bias, they do this because the redactional work of
                  > > one or more of the evangelists can be found in Thomas.
                  > > Obviously it is not always that easy to determine what is
                  > > redactional and therefore it is often possible to come up
                  > > with alternative solutions. Even Stephen Patterson (who
                  > > favors an independence view) agrees that Markan, Matthean or
                  > > Lukan redaction can be found in Thomas in about 10 places (a
                  > > proponent of the Farrer hypothesis would add many more to
                  > > this list). This should not be brushed away so easily. The
                  > > question of course remains what explains these instances?
                  > > Patterson would favor late scribal harmonization or perhaps
                  > > secondary orality.
                  >
                  > I realise this. What I wanted to do was raise awareness of the
                  ways in
                  > which the perspective from which people approach a text, the
                  questions they
                  > bring to it, if you like, can influence the way they interpret it.
                  So, if
                  > you approach Thomas asking "what evidence can I find that Thomas is
                  > dependent on the synoptic material?" you will potentially reach
                  different
                  > conclusions to the ones you will reach if you ask "are there any
                  passages in
                  > Thomas that are similar to and/or the same as those in the
                  synoptics and if
                  > so, what might that mean?" The answer you give, especially to the
                  first
                  > question will be further influenced by whether or not you have
                  anything
                  > invested in the outcome. That is, if you want the answer to
                  be "lots of
                  > evidence" you are more likely to include tenuous evidence. If you
                  want it
                  > to be "none at all", then you will discard anything that could
                  reasonably be
                  > considered tenuous.

                  RG: Absolutely! I think we can all agree on this. We should simply be
                  looking for the model that best accounts for the data (with the
                  strongest constraints - something typically neglected in New
                  Testament Studies). Why should we 'want' any kind of answer? That is
                  of course completely unscientific. Coming from experimental
                  psychology I must say that the common desire to find certain answers
                  in this field has been quite shocking for me. While many seem to want
                  Thomas to be late and secondary others seem to want Thomas to be
                  early and independent of the canonical Gospels. Both groups appear to
                  be neglecting (perhaps downplaying is a better word) part of the
                  evidence (which gives away my position - if that was not already
                  clear - that part of it is early, pre-synoptic, and part of it is
                  late, post-synoptic)

                  > > Finding Thomas to be influenced by one or more of the
                  > > Synoptics also does not mean that one considers every
                  > > parallel between them as a sign that Thomas is secondary. It
                  > > can very well be the case that some of the sayings in Thomas
                  > > are prior to their synoptic parallel. Given the popularity of
                  > > the Synoptic Gospels in the second century it would not be at
                  > > all surprising that some of their sayings were then added to
                  > > the Thomas collection.
                  >
                  > I think it is possible to go back further than this, though, and
                  say that
                  > the fact that there are parallels between Thomas and the synoptics
                  does not
                  > mean that Thomas is necessarily influenced by one or more of the
                  synoptics.
                  > It may be that the influence went in the other direction, or that
                  they
                  > shared a common source for that particular passage. Of the
                  material that I
                  > am studying (ie the parables of the kingdom/reign in Thomas that
                  have
                  > parallels in the synoptics) only one is close to verbatim - the
                  parable of
                  > the mustard seed - and it is an anomally. It is the only one in
                  Thomas that
                  > compares the kingdom/reign to an object rather than to a person.

                  RG: It is not just verbatim agreement that suggests influence, it is
                  finding an evangelists redaction in Thomas. Thus, if there is
                  evidence that in a certain pericope one of the evangelists has
                  redacted one of his sources and that piece of redaction is also found
                  in Thomas then the data can best be accounted by the hypothesis that
                  Thomas has somehow been influenced by that evangelists Gospel. This
                  cannot be explained by a common source.

                  One further point: you can have influence without having any verbatim
                  agreement. It just becomes harder (if not sometimes virtually
                  impossible) to detect. That is why we start with the strongest cases
                  and look at those instances where there is verbatim agreement and
                  (this is very important) when one author's redaction can be found in
                  the other Gospel.

                  Examples would obviously help here (although the literature is filled
                  with good examples), but I will save these for a later time when my
                  work load is reduced (I am teaching two new courses for a cognitive
                  neuropsychology masters) and I have more time to go into specifics.

                  > > Having said all this I must agree that some (evangelical or
                  > > conservative) scholars are biased against Thomas and will
                  > > favor Thomas'
                  > > dependence on the Synoptics. The positive and uncritical
                  > > manner in which they responded to Nicholas Perrin's work
                  > > nicely illustrates this.
                  > > However, this is to be expected, and should not lead to the
                  > > counter- reaction of assuming independence without good evidence.
                  >
                  > No, indeed. Good evidence is essential, but I think you get good
                  evidence
                  > by asking the right questions in the first place.

                  RG: Agreed, but I'm curious as to what you mean by 'asking the right
                  questions'? What kind of questions do you have in mind?

                  Richard
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                    Richard,

                    > RG: Absolutely! I think we can all agree on this. We should
                    > simply be looking for the model that best accounts for the
                    > data (with the strongest constraints - something typically
                    > neglected in New Testament Studies). Why should we 'want' any
                    > kind of answer? That is of course completely unscientific.

                    JR: Indeed. But if you come from within a theological framework that has
                    been built on a particular set of texts and that is likely to be called into
                    question if a particular non-canonical text is found to be "more authentic"
                    (whatever that means), then you have quite a lot invested in finding that
                    the problematic text is "less authentic", whereas if you are researching to
                    discredit the prevailing theological framework, you are invested in finding
                    the problematic text "more authentic".

                    > > > Finding Thomas to be influenced by one or more of the
                    > Synoptics also
                    > > > does not mean that one considers every parallel between them as a
                    > > > sign that Thomas is secondary. It can very well be the case that
                    > > > some of the sayings in Thomas are prior to their synoptic
                    > parallel.
                    > > > Given the popularity of the Synoptic Gospels in the
                    > second century
                    > > > it would not be at all surprising that some of their sayings were
                    > > > then added to the Thomas collection.
                    > >
                    > > I think it is possible to go back further than this, though, and
                    > say that
                    > > the fact that there are parallels between Thomas and the synoptics
                    > does not
                    > > mean that Thomas is necessarily influenced by one or more of the
                    > synoptics.
                    > > It may be that the influence went in the other direction, or that
                    > they
                    > > shared a common source for that particular passage. Of the
                    > material that I
                    > > am studying (ie the parables of the kingdom/reign in Thomas that
                    > have
                    > > parallels in the synoptics) only one is close to verbatim - the
                    > parable of
                    > > the mustard seed - and it is an anomally. It is the only one in
                    > Thomas that
                    > > compares the kingdom/reign to an object rather than to a person.
                    >
                    > RG: It is not just verbatim agreement that suggests
                    > influence, it is finding an evangelists redaction in Thomas.
                    > Thus, if there is evidence that in a certain pericope one of
                    > the evangelists has redacted one of his sources and that
                    > piece of redaction is also found in Thomas then the data can
                    > best be accounted by the hypothesis that Thomas has somehow
                    > been influenced by that evangelists Gospel. This cannot be
                    > explained by a common source.

                    JR: Having spent quite a lot of time recently reading psychological
                    eyewitness literature, I am no longer convinced that all the differences
                    that have been attributed to redaction actually are due to redaction ie a
                    deliberate decision by an editor to make additions, subtractions etc..
                    Quite a number could as easily be attributed to the sorts of changes that
                    can be expected when eyewitnesses retell their stories over time. Then, I
                    think, a common source is still a tenable explanation.

                    > One further point: you can have influence without having any
                    > verbatim agreement. It just becomes harder (if not sometimes virtually
                    > impossible) to detect. That is why we start with the
                    > strongest cases and look at those instances where there is
                    > verbatim agreement and (this is very important) when one
                    > author's redaction can be found in the other Gospel.
                    >
                    > Examples would obviously help here (although the literature
                    > is filled with good examples), but I will save these for a
                    > later time when my work load is reduced (I am teaching two
                    > new courses for a cognitive neuropsychology masters) and I
                    > have more time to go into specifics.

                    JR: I am in a similar situation - too busy to produce specific examples.

                    > > > Having said all this I must agree that some (evangelical or
                    > > > conservative) scholars are biased against Thomas and will favor
                    > > > Thomas'
                    > > > dependence on the Synoptics. The positive and uncritical
                    > manner in
                    > > > which they responded to Nicholas Perrin's work nicely illustrates
                    > > > this.
                    > > > However, this is to be expected, and should not lead to the
                    > > > counter- reaction of assuming independence without good evidence.
                    > >
                    > > No, indeed. Good evidence is essential, but I think you get good
                    > evidence
                    > > by asking the right questions in the first place.
                    >
                    > RG: Agreed, but I'm curious as to what you mean by 'asking
                    > the right questions'? What kind of questions do you have in mind?

                    JR: Simply the kinds of things you've mentioned - instead of asking "What
                    evidence do we have for dependence/independence?" we should ask "What
                    differences and similarities do we see in these texts and what is the best
                    explanation for the available data?"

                    Rev Judy Redman
                    Uniting Church Chaplain
                    University of New England
                    Armidale 2351 Australia
                    ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                    fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                    web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
                    http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
                    email: jredman@...
                  • jmgcormier
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                      Hello Richard ....

                      In your post # 8255 on Thomas vs the Synoptics, you point out "Even
                      Stephen Patterson (who favors an independence view) agrees that
                      Markan, Matthean or Lukan redaction can be found in Thomas in about 10
                      places (a proponent of the Farrer hypothesis would add many more to
                      this list)"

                      Might it be possible for you (in just a few words) to capsulize for
                      those of us who are unfamiliar with Farrer the essential jist of his
                      hypothesis ????

                      Maurice Cormier
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                        Hi Maurice,

                        Wikipedia (which in this case is quite reliable) says
                        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrer_hypothesis):

                        "The Farrer theory (also called the Farrer-Goulder hypothesis) is a possible
                        solution to the synoptic problem. The theory is that the Gospel of Mark was
                        written first, followed by the Gospel of Matthew and then by the Gospel of
                        Luke.

                        "It has mainly been advocated by English biblical scholars. It is named for
                        Austin Farrer, who wrote _On Dispensing With Q_ in 1955, but it has been
                        picked up by other scholars including Michael Goulder and Mark Goodacre.

                        "The Farrer theory has the advantage of simplicity, as there is no need for
                        hypothetical sources to be created by academics. Instead, advocates of the
                        Farrer theory argue, the Gospel of Mark was used as source material by the
                        author of Matthew. Lastly, Luke used both of the previous gospels as sources
                        for his Gospel."

                        And if you are interested in a summary of the multiplicity of theories about
                        the sources of the gospels, you can visit Stephen Carlson's blog which has
                        colour-coded summaries, complete with diagrams.

                        http://www.hypotyposeis.org/synoptic-problem/2004/09/overview-of-proposed-so
                        lutions.html

                        Incidentally, whilst searching for something succinct on google, I came
                        across a site that offers the following:

                        "For over seven years, our Farrer Hypothesis term paper experts have helped
                        university students worldwide by providing the most extensive, lowest-priced
                        service for Farrer Hypothesis thesis papers and research paper writing.
                        Regardless of your deadline, budget, specifications, or academic level, we
                        can provide immediate help for your Farrer Hypothesis essay, term paper,
                        book report, research paper, dissertation, thesis, or university
                        coursework."
                        (http://www.essaytown.com/topics/farrer_hypothesis_essays_papers.html)

                        Rev Judy Redman
                        Uniting Church Chaplain
                        University of New England
                        Armidale 2351 Australia
                        ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                        fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                        web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
                        http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
                        email: jredman@...

                      • rj.godijn
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                          --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "jmgcormier" <cobby@...> wrote:

                          > Might it be possible for you (in just a few words) to capsulize for
                          > those of us who are unfamiliar with Farrer the essential jist of his
                          > hypothesis ????
                          >
                          > Maurice Cormier

                          Hi Maurice,

                          I agree with Judy that wikipedia gives a good description here. Mark
                          Goodacre's website http://www.ntgateway.com/Q/ is an excellent place to
                          learn more about this source hypothesis.

                          Richard