[GTh] Re: Five in a house

  • Paul Lanier
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hi all,
      Here are responses to a couple of posts on Luke's sources and how
      THREADS/RUST/WRIT addresses those.
      regards,
      Paul Lanier

      > Luke seems to have had two versions before him - one similar to
      Thomas 16b and one similar to Matthew 10:35 (or Micah 7:6) - which he
      has combined and conflated (Kevin Johnson, 8208)

      By THREADS/RUST/WRIT, QS 43 is the source for both GLuke 12:52-53 and
      GMatt 10:35-36. QS 43 explains all but two text fragments in GLuke
      12:52-23:
      * family divided against each other
      * they will be divided

      Presumably these two fragments represent L, since they occur in no
      other text.

      B* = QS 43
      for from now on there will be five in one house three against two and
      two against three father against son and son against father mother
      against daughter and daughter against mother mother-in-law against
      daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

      GLuke 12:52-53
      from now on there will be five in one family divided against each
      other three against two and two against three they will be divided
      father against son and son against father mother against daughter and
      daughter against mother mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and
      daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

      > This saying has often been cited as an example of Thomas' knowledge of
      Luke (Richard Godijn, 8213)

      By WRIT, if Farrer is correct, then the transmission from Micah 7:6 to
      GThom 16:3 looks like:

      Micah 7:6
      for a son dishonors his father a daughter rises up against her mother
      a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law a man's enemies are the
      members of his own household

      D*
      for I have come to turn a son against his father a daughter against
      her mother a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law a man's enemies
      will be the members of his own household

      B*
      for from now on there will be five in one house three against two and
      two against three father against son and son against father mother
      against daughter and daughter against mother mother-in-law against
      daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

      A*
      for from now on there will be five in one house three will be against
      two and two against three father against son and son against father

      GThom 16:3
      for there will be five in a house three will be against two and two
      against three the father against the son and the son against the
      father and they will stand solitary

      Thus in the scheme of the Farrer Hypothesis, the author of B*
      (precursor to Luke 12:52-53) replaces Matthew's "I have come" with
      "from now on." B* also inserts "five in one house three against two
      and two against three" as well as "father against son," "mother
      against daughter," "mother-in-law against daughter-in-law." Finally B*
      deletes "a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

      Then the author of A* (pre-GThom 16:3) deletes the second half of the
      saying, "mother against daughter and daughter against mother