the aftermath of EarlyChristianWritings.com and friends

  • KirbTron
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2008
      I hope that this message is appreciated by people who know me or my
      past work. It is crossposted with XTalk2 and other lists.

      A special note to the gthomas group: a similar thing with similar
      cause happened to gospelthomas.com a couple years ago. I can easily
      see the gospelthomas.com material going a separate way from the rest
      of ECW now. If you are interested in that particularly, let me know.
      My first instinct is to let it be hosted by a popular Thomas site that
      already exists and will have it. Grondin comes to mind, and also
      Stevan Davies.

      Since it opened in 2001, the website has been widely regarded as being
      a decent place to jump around the documents of the first two centuries
      and get links to translations, research, and such.

      This month I let the domain name expire. While this wasn't completely
      intentional, I am of course culpable. A domain name in the Internet
      age is more than just a resolution of squiggles into a four byte IP
      address. Losing it represents a financial opportunity lost, but more
      importantly, a great inconvenience to all who have extensively linked
      to the site or referred to it regularly. The links number in the
      thousands. The users included teachers and students.

      I do have an interest in allowing the material created for ECW and for
      EJW to live on in another form, under another person's or
      organization's guiding hand. I cannot offer the domain name (which,
      again in the Internet age, is probably worth more than the text) but I
      can offer my backing of whatever project gets the site as "spiritual
      successor" to the venerable (again, in the Internet age) Early
      Christian Writings. I can also offer all distribution rights to the
      text itself, to the extent that I am the copyright holder.

      If you have any comments about this that you want to make quite
      certain I see, send a message to peterkirby@... and, of
      course, "discuss amongst yourselves," as Mike Myers would say.

      sincerely,
      Peter Kirby
    • KirbTron
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2008
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "KirbTron" <peter@...> wrote:

        > This month I let the domain name expire. While this wasn't completely
        > intentional, I am of course culpable.

        And, while perhaps culpable, perhaps with redemption available to me
        if accepted... I have rights apparently. I will pursue all options
        before giving up (contacting registrar, claiming trademark with
        dispute resolution agency).

        I am of course still interested in "opening up" my content more so
        that other sites could use it. Grondin, what do you say?

        peace,
        Peter Kirby