Re: [GTh] Metzger Word-List Online!

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12 9:48 AM
      On Fri, September 12, 2008 10:34 am, Michael Grondin wrote:

      > Could you say something about the differences between these two books,
      > and how your prospective concordance differs from them?

      Hi Mike-
      For general reference purposes I suppose either of these two works would
      do fine; as its title suggests the Greek-English version displays the
      English (NIV) glosses for the relevant Greek GNT text and also the NIV
      text in the context line. By contrast, the Exhaustive Greek version uses
      Greek in the context lines. It’s interesting to note that the
      Greek-English version indexes all Greek words in UBS4, NA26 AND the
      eclectic text used as the basis for the NIV (in my opinion the most
      abysmal translation of the Bible ever produced). Both concordances use the
      Goodrick-Kohlenberger word numbering system (much like the Strong
      numbering system, but updated to accommodate more modern Greek texts. This
      is an especially useful feature for folks who are toally committed to
      never learning the Greek alphabet well enough to look up the words with
      out such "tools" ).

      As an aside if you are REALLY intent on getting a good concordance, it
      would be hard to beat Kurt Alands’s _Vollstandige Konkordanz zum
      Griechischen Neuen Testament_ (but get out your billfold for this one).
      Aland's concordance is published in three parts with the last two parts
      having some very intriguing statistical analyses (somewhat on the order of
      Morgenthaler’s _Statistik des Neutestamentlichen Wortschatzes_, that was
      based on the WH Greek text).

      The VK is actually what inspired me to work on my project (which is not
      quite in the same genre as any the works I just mentioned- I prefer to
      call it a “Lexical Index”). While the “Lexical Index” does provide the
      Book-Chapter-Verse citation for every word in NA27, it goes beyond that by
      also providing complete grammatical parsing, a reverse index (where one
      may identify the “dictionary form” of a word from the inflected form, as
      it is used in the text), a book-by-book and word-by word “parsing guide”
      for the entire GNT and several distribution tables, etc. In addition, I’ve
      formatted it such a way that there is a separate “lexical index” for each
      book of the GNT as well as for the arbitrary collections such as the
      Synoptics and the Pauline corpus. Will it ever be done? Who knows! Will it
      ever be published? I highly doubt it (it’s just to confounded BIG for any
      sensible publisher to even consider). Most of it is already in PDF, so if
      I ever do get it all “done” I’ll probably just distribute electronically
      (for free).

      Hope this helps answer your questions.

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
    • Paul Lanier
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13 8:58 AM
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

        Is anything like that [Greek NT concordance] now available online...
        if one wanted to know where a particular Greek word occurred,
        regardless of how it was translated, one would need a Greek concordance.

        Hi Mike,

        I use two main sources for listing NT and LXX occurences of specific
        Greek words.

        E-SWORD.NET

        This free product keeps improving. Both e-sword and an open source
        community continue to release new free modules. Searchable LXX and
        Greek NT modules, keyed to Strong's Numbers, make listing passages
        simple and quick. The modules I use include:
        * GNT-WH+ (Wescott-Hort NT with Strong's Numbers)
        * IGNT+ (Greek NT Interlinear with Strong's Numbers)
        * TGNT+ (Tischendorf's NT with Strong's Numbers)
        * LXX+ & WH+ (LXX & Wescott-Hort NT with NA26/27 variants and Strong's
        Numbers)

        APOSTOLICBIBLE.COM

        Originally ApostolicBible had several free products available, but
        they have started charging for most of them now. The interlinear LXX
        (with AB Strong's Numbers) is still available for free (requires email
        registration) at:

        http://septuagint-interlinear-greek-bible.com

        This is a pdf file, OldTestament.pdf. The formerly free products are
        very useful:

        * NewTestament.pdf (NT interlinear, keyed to Strong's)
        * lex-conc.pdf (Greek-to-LXX/NT verse lookup, keyed to AB Strong's)
        * index.pdf (English-to-Greek lookup keyed to AB Strong's)

        Together these products are called Apostolic Bible Polyglot. LXX
        sources are described as "1518 Aldine text, the 1518 Complutensian
        text and the 15?? Sixtine text." The editor has revised Strong's
        Numbers to include Greek words found in LXX but not in NT. They cal.
        this AB (Apostlioc Bible?) Strong's. I am not sure which Greek NT they
        use.

        ALSO USEFUL

        Crossway Reverse Interlinear Dictionary (Strong's-to-English lookup).
        The English lookup is for ESV. Very useful for converting Strong's
        Number to English word. I will probably create an Excel workbook to to
        perform the lookup for a sequence of Strong's Numbers.

        rgards,
        Paul Lanier