New Members

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2008
      A hearty welcome to new members Steven Ring and Roger
      Pearse. Steven describes himself as "an independent Syriac
      scholar". This group being a haven for independent scholars,
      he's come to the right place. Maybe he'll share his thoughts
      on the Diatessaron source theory. His website is at:

      http://www.syriac.talktalk.net/syriac_home.html

      Roger doesn't indicate his website, but I know of it because
      my own site links to one of his pages, viz:

      http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/nag_hammadi.htm

      It was in fact this page that caused me to buy James Robinson's
      book _The Secrets of Judas_. More specifically, it was Roger's
      statement that Robinson had set him straight in that book about the
      possibility (lack thereof) of a thirteenth codex in the NH jar - being
      as how the number of books in the jar has always been an interest
      of mine. I won't get into that whole story right now, but on perusing
      the book, I was mighty surprised to see Stephen Carlson (a long-
      time group member, blogger, and rising professional) quoted
      twice - once in a confusing passage that seemed to attribute the
      error of the 13th codex to him rather than Roger! Oh, well, maybe
      Roger can comment on that.

      Cheers,
      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
    • Steven Ring
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2008
        Hi Mike,

        Thank you for your warm welcome to the gospel of Thomas group.
        The development of the gospel text is of very great interest to me and
        I have been learning about and researching the topic for many years.

        I am about to read my paper on the subject at the Xth Symposium
        Syriacum in Grenada, Spain in a week's time, so any GT members
        attending that event can ask me about the subject further and
        scrutinize the evidence I will bring forward there. However, in a
        nutshell I think the DT was a harmony of the (demonstrably) older,
        separate Syriac gospels. As is generally believed, I also think the DT
        was created by Tatian, who was also responsible for introducing Old
        Latin gospel features into his DT harmony. (Also by means of his DT
        harmony, he introduced Old Latin colouring seen in all later Syriac
        gospel text types.)

        Having identified the Syriac DT harmony, it is possible to peel back
        the DT and begin to study the older Syriac separate gospels Tatian
        worked with. In my paper, I call this older set of Syriac gospels, the
        Primitive Syriac gospel type. This Primitive Syriac gospel type offers
        a very attractive and revealing text. It would be interesting, but
        beyond my ability to see how much of it leaked into the early Coptic
        gospel tradition. Perhaps some scholars on this list would have the
        ability to discover that...

        Thank you again for the welcome and I look forward to some fruitful
        dialogue.

        Best regards,
        Steven Ring.