September RCP Lineup

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2008
      To all-

      IMO, the six-week pilot project that ends this week has been a
      great success. Although this week is understandably a bit slow,
      since it's the eve of the Labor Day holiday in the States, the last
      five weeks have ranged from 19 to 39 messages per week, the
      median being about 23, which was more than expected. Of
      course, this wasn't all the work of the three members that agreed
      to be guinea pigs for the pilot project, since new member Don
      Traxler contributed a good many notes. In addition, the output
      of the Regular Contributors significantly exceeded what I had
      expected, and what they had agreed to provide. Even allowing
      for some levelling off over time, however, I think it's been shown
      that such a program _can_ achieve its objective - which is eliminate
      lengthy periods of "dead air" by maintaining a minimum level of quality
      content each week.

      Accordingly, we are proceeding with what I'm now calling the
      "Regular Contributor Program" (RCP). Rather than be open-ended
      (which I think is a recipe for failure), it'll proceed in a sequence of
      4-5 week periods roughly equivalent to a month. "September", for
      example, will be the four-week period 8/31-9/27, while "October"
      will be the five-week period 9/28-11/01. The names of RC's for
      the month will be displayed on our group home page.

      A second aspect of the program, whose importance has become
      apparent, is the necessity for a _pool_ of RC's (perhaps 5-6), so
      that one or two can drop out for a month, and there'll still be at least
      three (which I figure is the minimum needed) for any given month.
      The pool is sparse at this point, but hopefully it'll increase and
      multiply as the program proceeds.

      OK, that's the structure so far. It seems good right now, but the
      next couple months will probably be the true test. Many thanks to
      the participants in the pilot project: Maurice Cormier, Kevin Johnson,
      and Paul Lanier. I've asked all of them if they could participate this
      coming month. Unfortunately, Maurice is unable to do so because
      of personal business, but Don Traxler has agreed to do it, so the
      RC lineup for September is Kevin, Paul, and Don. Good luck, guys!

      A final note: the messages sent each week by our RC's are intended
      to stimulate discussion. But if no discussion ensues - or if no one
      else sends messages to the list - then it'll all be for naught. The ultimate
      success of this program, then, depends as much on you all as it does
      on the RC's.

      Happy Holiday, State-Siders!