Re: [GTh] GTh LL33 int and 77 int--evidence of reconstruction by a Coptic hand

  • pdxflthome
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2008
      Mike wrote, quotong Don:

      > > As to something else you mentioned, citing a Larry Hurtado paper:
      > > it's interesting that IH with overstrike was the number 18. The first
      > > letter of the Hebrew word "chay," meaning life, does have the
      numerical
      > > value of 18. If you include the yod, though, the full gematria value
      > > becomes 38.
      >
      > This doesn't seem right. Although Hurtado uses only Hebrew
      > letters to designate the word, it appears to be yod-heth, which has
      > a value of 10+8. The heth is 'ch' of course, and the unwritten aleph
      > isn't counted. Let's compare sources for the value of Hebrew letters.

      It doesn't seem right, because it isn't right! I was reading from a
      table with multiple columns, and the values I picked up were from the
      wrong column. Cheth is worth 8, and yod is worth 10. Obviously, I'm
      not adept at gematria.

      Interesting, by the way, what you said about analysis of the Psalms. I
      can well imagine that a lot of other texts should be examined in that way.

      --Don