[GTh] Re: Not Taste Death

  • Kevin Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
      Hi, Mike -

      Sorry, my mistake. What happened was that I looked back for your version of
      this saying from a discussion we had earlier this year. In message #7894 (
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gthomas/message/7894 ), you listed what I
      quoted as your translation of the Coptic, but it was your translation of the
      Coptic of ***Lk 11:28*** and not GTh 79.2.

      I had sent you an image of the Coptic of Lk. 11:28 and you had written in
      response:

      > The short answer to the question of how Lk 11:28 was translated
      > in ancient Sahidic is that it _does_ contain an equivalent of the
      > conjunction 'and', though not the word 'and' itself. The Coptic
      > reads as follows:

      > "More blessed are they who listen to the word of God
      > which (or who) keep it."

      > The basic relevant difference between the Sahidic translation
      > of Lk 11:28 and GTh 79.2 is this:

      > Lk 11:28 -- ET-ARE2 (which keep)
      > GTh79.2 -- AY-ARE2 (they [have] kept)
      > This confirms the subtle but significant difference between these
      > parallels, which is unfortunately hidden by harmonizing translations.
      > (There are other differences, but this one is mostly ignored.)

      Remembering the quote (but forgetting the discussion), I searched the group
      messages for your translation, found it, saw the line: "The Coptic reads as
      follows:" and took the quote without seeing that you were rendering the
      Coptic of Luke and not Thomas. Duh. That should teach me to be more careful
      next time I'm quoting someone.

      Good catch.

      - Kevin