Are e-lists dying?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008
      (Apologies for cross posting)

      Hello all-

      Two summers ago, I announced the publication of the hardback edition
      of my book, Other Early Christian Gospels: A Critical Edition of the
      Surviving Greek Manuscripts, via email discussion lists. It seemed at
      the time that the lists offered a great way to reach potential
      readers interested in the subject, and I planned to make a similar
      announcement for the paperback edition this summer (for those
      interested, see my website: gospels.net) However, I can't help but
      notice that the times seem to have changed significantly.

      With the exception of B-greek, all the early Christianity e-lists I'm
      subscribed to (crosstalk2, gthomas, textualcriticism, TC-Alternate-
      List, etc.) seem to have fallen largely into disuse. I used to learn
      about important new publications and follow substantive, ongoing
      debates involving many participants. Now, I can only glean precious
      little information from the ever more infrequent messages that get
      posted (many of which are just references to blogs). I even checked
      Mark Goodacre's ntgateway.com (the "website-of-record" for New
      Testament studies, in my opinion) to see if I was missing something
      and discovered that it now only mentions four lists (Synoptic-L,
      Kata Markon, John Lit Internet Discussion, and Acts-L) and two of
      these (Synoptic-L & John Lit) appear to have disappeared (apologies,
      Mark, for dragging you into this). What gives?!

      Is my perception wrong? If not, where have all the scholars (and
      others) who used to contribute to the e-lists gone? Has everyone
      given up on studying early Christianity? I highly doubt that (though
      perhaps interest in the "historical Jesus" has waned). Have they
      given up on using the internet in their research? I highly doubt that
      as well. My suspicion is that they are simply using the internet in
      new ways to gather and disseminate information (blogs, RSS feeds,
      etc.), but I'm not fully aware of how they are going about it.
      So, if others are willing to share their secrets, my question is
      simply this: HOW ARE OTHERS _NOW_ USING THE INTERNET IN THEIR STUDY
      OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY? How are are people using the internet to get
      information about significant new publications (books and articles)?
      How are people navigating the blogosphere (and what are the most
      widely read blogs)? What else am I missing? (I'm guessing a an awful
      lot).

      Thanks in advance for any guidance!

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 23, 2008
        Hi Andrew,

        I think people are still reading elists, just not talking much, so you can
        still announce publications and reach a reasonable audience. The one that
        seems to be still very active is biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com.
        christian_origins@yahoogroups.com has fits and starts.

        I think that many people do read blogs on a regular basis. I use bloglines
        (http://www.bloglines.com/) to alert me to postings on blogs that interest
        me. http://www.biblioblogs.com/ is a good place to start reading and from
        there on in you can find links to other blogs that might be of interest.
        Biblioblogs, however, tends not to list too many of the blogs that focus on
        the non-cannonical texts, April DeConick's being a major exception.

        Blogs are patchy. You need to be a bit discriminating. But then, the
        quality of posts on email lists can be patchy, too. :-)

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia
        ph: +61 2 6773 3739
        fax: +61 2 6773 3749
        web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
        http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
        email: jredman@...

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 23, 2008
          Hi Andrew. I don't think e-lists are dying and crosstalk and John-Lit are
          still very much alive with robust memberships. I think we have reached a
          point, with a distillation of memberships to serious participants, where the
          standard topics have been covered ad nauseum. There will be a surge of
          activity on certain issues at times. I will be looking at John-Lit to see
          what can be done to stimulate more online activity. Scholarly discussions
          by academics can be cyclic and often wane while the "loose" e-lists often
          are much more active. Maybe I'll embark on a recruiting program, "Wanted,
          serious scholars or informed amateurs to discuss Johannine literature or
          Historical Jesus research. Apply at...."

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX
          > Two summers ago, I announced the publication of the hardback edition
          > of my book, Other Early Christian Gospels: A Critical Edition of the
          > Surviving Greek Manuscripts, via email discussion lists. It seemed at
          > the time that the lists offered a great way to reach potential
          > readers interested in the subject, and I planned to make a similar
          > announcement for the paperback edition this summer (for those
          > interested, see my website: gospels.net) However, I can't help but
          > notice that the times seem to have changed significantly.
          >
          > With the exception of B-greek, all the early Christianity e-lists I'm
          > subscribed to (crosstalk2, gthomas, textualcriticism, TC-Alternate-
          > List, etc.) seem to have fallen largely into disuse. I used to learn
          > about important new publications and follow substantive, ongoing
          > debates involving many participants. Now, I can only glean precious
          > little information from the ever more infrequent messages that get
          > posted (many of which are just references to blogs). I even checked
          > Mark Goodacre's ntgateway.com (the "website-of-record" for New
          > Testament studies, in my opinion) to see if I was missing something
          > and discovered that it now only mentions four lists (Synoptic-L,
          > Kata Markon, John Lit Internet Discussion, and Acts-L) and two of
          > these (Synoptic-L & John Lit) appear to have disappeared (apologies,
          > Mark, for dragging you into this). What gives?!
          >
          > Is my perception wrong? If not, where have all the scholars (and
          > others) who used to contribute to the e-lists gone? Has everyone
          > given up on studying early Christianity? I highly doubt that (though
          > perhaps interest in the "historical Jesus" has waned). Have they
          > given up on using the internet in their research? I highly doubt that
          > as well. My suspicion is that they are simply using the internet in
          > new ways to gather and disseminate information (blogs, RSS feeds,
          > etc.), but I'm not fully aware of how they are going about it.
          > So, if others are willing to share their secrets, my question is
          > simply this: HOW ARE OTHERS _NOW_ USING THE INTERNET IN THEIR STUDY
          > OF EARLY CHRISTIANITY? How are are people using the internet to get
          > information about significant new publications (books and articles)?
          > How are people navigating the blogosphere (and what are the most
          > widely read blogs)? What else am I missing? (I'm guessing a an awful
          > lot).
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any guidance!
          >
          > Andrew

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 23, 2008
            2008/6/23 Andrew <andrew.bernhard@...>:

            > I even checked
            > Mark Goodacre's ntgateway.com (the "website-of-record" for New
            > Testament studies, in my opinion) to see if I was missing something
            > and discovered that it now only mentions four lists (Synoptic-L,
            > Kata Markon, John Lit Internet Discussion, and Acts-L) and two of
            > these (Synoptic-L & John Lit) appear to have disappeared (apologies,
            > Mark, for dragging you into this). What gives?!

            Hi Andrew. You are looking at the wrong page. Go to
            http://ntgateway.com/E-Lists.htm and that has the revised details for
            lists like Synoptic-L. Nevertheless, as always, the page requires a
            few additional updates.

            I agree that the e-lists are not as robust and healthy as they once
            were and perhaps the biggest surprise is the low traffic now on Xtalk.
            I think the blog world has more to do with this than anything else.

            Cheers
            Mark

            --
            Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
            Associate Professor

            http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 23, 2008
              Thank you all for (what I hope will be just) initial feedback. Very
              helpful, indeed.

              Special thanks to:

              1. Mike Grondin: For allowing this conversation to proceed; it might
              have been obstructed on other lists as "off-topic" or worse. I really
              value the e-lists and have since the mid-90s (!) as a source of
              information and am fearful that their value may be diminishing. I
              think honest and open discussion will be vital to prevent this from
              happening.

              2. Judy Redman: For sharing her wisdom first (even if she got a
              headstart timewise because she's in Australia! :-). I think you may
              be very correct, Judy, that people (like me) are still reading e-
              lists but just not writing as much. I'm definitely going to subscribe
              to the biblical-studies and christian_origins lists you mention and
              see if I can pick up some additional info there. I share your opinion
              of biblioblogs. The three blogs I'm particularly fond of are: April
              Deconick's (forbiddengospels.blogspot.com/); Mark Goodacre's
              (www.ntgateway.com/weblog/); and Stephen Carlson's
              (www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/). The names of any additional
              noteworthy blogs would be greatly appreciated (I might be in the
              process of revising my website or something).

              3. Jack Kilmon: For his insights. You unquestionably have a point
              that the standard topics probably have been covered ad nauseum (and
              people get annoyed when the same old topics are covered repeatedly).
              Perhaps we should talk further about a "recruiting program," or
              something like it. I've got some thoughts of my own about improving
              the quality and quantity of posts to e-lists but am trying to collect
              some feedback first.

              4. Mark Goodacre: For sharing my perspective about the e-lists: they
              don't seem to be nearly as robust as they once were! I'll include
              some hard numbers below to support that perception. But before I do,
              I'll also note that I agree with you that the blogs have had a major
              impact, and scholars (such as yourself) are probably devoting more of
              their internet time to those instead of focusing on the e-lists.

              The following is a little data about some of the e-lists I mentioned
              in my previous post.

              ***CROSSTALK2***
              Trend: 1702 posts (in the first six months of 2002) -> 1334 (2003) ->
              1628 (2004) -> 1374 (2005) -> 964 (2006) -> 653 (2007) -> 141 (2008)

              ANALYSIS:
              --Steep decline (with one aberation in 2004).
              --Current activity is 10% of what it was in 2005 and only 8% of what
              it was in 2002.

              ***TEXTUALCRITICISM***
              Trend: 754 (2005) -> 735 (2006) -> 468 (2007) -> 326 (2008)

              ANALYSIS:
              -- Steady decline (with no aberations).
              -- Currently activity is 43% of what it was in 2005.

              ***GTHOMAS***
              Trend: 627 (2002) -> 271 (2003) -> 253 (2004) -> 294 (2005) -> 180
              (2006) -> 480 (2007) -> 132 (2008)

              ANALYSIS:
              -- Decline (with one major aberation in 2007).
              -- Current activity is 44% of what it was in 2005 and 21% of what it
              was in 2002.

              SUMMARY:
              The early Christianity email discussion lists I am subscribed to are
              in serious decline (Andrew adopts the tone of a lab report, which
              seems to be what he's writing). The Crosstalk2 list appears to be in
              an utter free fall, as Mark Goodacre noted previously. The
              textualcriticism list has been steadily declining year after year.
              The Gthomas list (despite a very good year in 2007) also seems to be
              declining as well. All three lists are siginificantly (more than 50%)
              below where they were in 2005.

              ANYBODY GOT ANY ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS ABOUT WHY THE GROUPS ARE
              DECLINING, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW THEY CAN BE REVITALIZED?

              Best,
              Andrew
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                Hi Andrew,

                I've always believed that such meta-issues as you bring up are in
                order, and I think the other moderators agree, so don't worry about
                that. In fact, I had been thinking about posting a "State of the List"
                message to discuss the relatively low number of contributors lately,
                despite my efforts to get inactive members (i.e., those who don't
                receive email messages) more interested/active, by sending offlist
                messages to let them know what we had been discussing. That didn't
                work, but I haven't yet given up on the goal of increasing list activity
                without sacrificing quality.

                Your statistics show that our list isn't the only one suffering a decline
                in activity (and hence, presumably in interest), which is good news for
                us, I suppose. Still, if it turns out that nothing can be done to maintain
                a "critical mass" of dialogue on these lists, those of us who care will
                have to consider locking the doors and going to more fruitful methods
                of sharing and discussing information and opinions in our areas of
                interest. Before going down that route, however, I think we should
                explore some creative ways to bring more life to the scholarly e-lists.
                In that effort, it might be useful to do some kind of a survey to find
                out how e-literate scholars interact with groups and blogs, and what
                perceptions cause them to act in certain ways (hence what might
                cause them to act differently).

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                  I am of the same opinion, Mike. I don't think it is as much blog
                  competitions as it is cyclic activity and availability of the scholarly
                  community. A new generation of academics and students move in and are
                  unaware of the lists. I think an e-forum discussion list circular outlining
                  the scholarly lists and their purposes to the religion/Bible Study
                  departments of the universities wellactive in these fields would be helpful.
                  The Yahoo Groups directory has been so clogged with nut stuff and porn stuff
                  that scholars and students stay clear unless they are specifically looking
                  for a group. In short, we need a recruitment program in the academic
                  communities and members who are active in those communities can be called
                  upon to help. I'm going to crosspost this to our other two lists also..

                  Jack

                • CJED5@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                    I'm rather in the woodwork at the moment reading posts but leaving no
                    evidence of doing so. I have a full-time job and doing a doctorate part-time,
                    which is busy, but right now is conference season, which at least has left me
                    refreshingly single-minded preparing for them. Is it partly just a seasonal
                    phenomenon, though? Holidays, good weather (ish), and conferences in full
                    summer glut.

                    Jed Chandler

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                      I know from personal experience that blogging decreases my ability to
                      participate on lists. I only have so much time avaible for this kind of
                      activity, because like Jed I have a full time job and am studying part time,
                      so if I spend time blogging, it means I don't spend that time contributing
                      to lists. Blogging lets me operate differently to list membership and I
                      think both are valuable. On this list, I talk exclusively about Thomas,
                      whereas on my blog, I can talk about other things that interesect with my
                      research.

                      I have a link to this list on my blogroll, and have just moved it up above
                      the archives, so that it might be easier to find. People definitely visit
                      my blog looking for info about Gospel of Thomas.

                      Rev Judy Redman
                      Uniting Church Chaplain
                      University of New England
                      Armidale 2351 Australia
                      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                      web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/ and
                      http://blog.une.edu.au/unitingchaplaincy/
                      email: jredman@...

                    • David Hindley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                        Hello Andrew,

                        Yes, by my observation the decline of academic e-lists started around 2003, although there were signs of trouble before that. IMHO,
                        the trouble seems to center on the issue of whether such lists should be for the accredited academic only, or serve a larger
                        constituency including informed amateurs. Even on Crosstalk2 (XTalk), where membership represented a good cross-section of academics
                        coming from all angles, and a considerable number of especially well informed amateurs, some professional academics found it
                        annoying to deal with some of the amateurs. Some also did not want to discuss the philosophy of history as this got in the way of
                        the fun stuff. This was exacerbated by a few especially large egos, most notable among the amateurs but not excluding a professional
                        or two. "Wag-ism", a situation where supposedly witty posts are directed to "in-groups", and perhaps intended to freeze out those
                        outside the intended group, became more common.

                        The Christian Origins e-list started by William Arnal and Zeba Crook was, IMO, an extreme reaction by professionals who found some
                        of the amateurs, end even a few of the professionals, intensely annoying. Not liking the way the game was being played on
                        Crosstalk2, they took their ball and went home, forming their own list, and setting academic qualifications for full participation
                        in discussion that few amateurs could meet (exceptions were made for a few). Interested amateurs received a 2nd tier membership, and
                        must be content to watch real scholars discuss deep meaningful issues without muddying the waters with questions that betray their
                        ignorance and lack of sophistication. Wasn't that what the Westar discussion group is/was all about? Last I heard, they were in a
                        tizzy over the fact that conservative evangelicals have become more vocal at SBL meetings, both as presenters and listeners. I guess
                        the sky really is falling ... I lost respect for several of the professionals who quickly jumped to this list and stopped posting on
                        Crosstalk2 on account of this.

                        Now it seems that everyone wants to blog. Because blogs are basically running commentaries, wags love them. I'm not saying every
                        blogger is on an ego trip, but a lot of them (even the few really interesting ones) are pretty eccentric. Cleverness and witticisms
                        become as important as the subject covered, it seems. I like to periodically check into a few, even when I don't always agree with
                        the opinions expressed, especially if the blogger seems to be receptive to opinions other than his or her own. Personally, I do not
                        like blogs as much as e-lists and consequently have refrained from large scale participation in them.

                        Perhaps the lull in e-list interest is just a reflection of the times, with sociological roots in changes occurring in North
                        American and Western cultures in general, and may change for the better in the future. I sure hope so. Many of the discussions were
                        fun and informative, and prompted me (at least) to read the literature, investigate methodological questions, and gawd help me, bone
                        up on the philosophy of history.

                        Respectfully,

                        Dave Hindley
                        Newton Falls, Ohio USA

[...]

                      • Stephen C. Carlson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                          My theory is that successful e-lists need to have good
                          conversation starters. The decline in e-lists would be
                          due to those people no longer starting threads. Some of
                          them have moved on to other e-lists or "forums," and
                          many of them now blog instead. For Synoptic-L, our most
                          productive conversation starter passed away from cancer.

                          The problem is that many of the qualities that go into a
                          good conversation starter can come off as somewhat
                          crankish. For example, there is a fine line between
                          having a healthy, albeit single-minded, devotion to
                          one's passions and being a crank about it, hijacking
                          every thread in favor of some idiosyncratic thesis.

                          It's like a Gresham's Law of e-lists: the bad cranks
                          drive out the good conversation starters.

                          Stephen

                          --
                          Stephen C. Carlson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 24, 2008
                            Hi Dave-

                            I suspect your note is going to cause some controversy, especially
                            your characterization of motivations behind the Christian Origins group,
                            but I won't be here to see the fun, since I'm being dragged off to
                            Minneapolis for five days (Wed-Sun) by my own She Who Must Be
                            Obeyed. I trust the other moderators will take up the slack.

                            As to your remarks about the C-O group, you failed to mention that
                            their main reason-for-being is to focus on a secular/humanist approach
                            to Biblical studies. Thus, your remarks about their wanting to create an
                            (almost) amateur-free zone didn't adequately cover motivation. (If
                            it's any consolation, they have far less activity than we do.)

                            (To compare Dave's remarks to C-O's own self-description, go to:

                            Well, controversy is one thing that builds message-volume, so this
                            discussion may, ironically, at least temporarily assuage its own
                            object-problem (if you know what I mean :-). More constructive and
                            long-lasting solutions are needed, however. I like Stephen Carlson's
                            observation that just came in about conversation-starters, because it
                            jibes with an idea I've been mulling over of somehow luring a number
                            of listers into agreeing to contribute a new thread or a couple messages
                            each week or so. Not sure what would get someone to do that, though.
                            (I do it because this is my home list, and I've found that writing and
                            interacting about some subject stimulates the creation of other ideas
                            I mightn't have had otherwise.)

                            In other news, I've jazzed up our group main page a bit by adding
                            a nice picture of one of the pages of Thomas, taken by a Coptic
                            museum attendant by request of April DeConick, when she was
                            there, and which appears on one of the pages of her website.
                            I've also added a little to our group description. See:

                            (off-line till next Monday)
                          • mottrogere3
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                              --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I've always believed that such meta-issues as you bring up are in
                              > order, and I think the other moderators agree, so don't worry about
                              > that. In fact, I had been thinking about posting a "State of the
                              List"
                              > message to discuss the relatively low number of contributors lately,
                              > despite my efforts to get inactive members (i.e., those who don't
                              > receive email messages) more interested/active, by sending offlist
                              > messages to let them know what we had been discussing. That didn't
                              > work, but I haven't yet given up on the goal of increasing list
                              activity
                              > without sacrificing quality.

                              Hi Mike,

                              I was one of the individuals on your "inactive" e-mail broadcast. I
                              was surprised as I faithfully have read every message off the home
                              page since subscribing to the list over a year ago. I even replied
                              to your "broadcast e-mail to stimulate interest message" to your off
                              line e-mail address with information. I wonder if you have several e-
                              mail addresses flagged as spam or even blocked. Someone else here
                              recently had that experience too so I hope you have checked that out.

                              Have fun in Minneapolis.

                              Roger Mott
                              Waterloo, Iowa
                            • Andrew
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                Apologies again for crossposting.

                                I'm really glad I asked the question I did (see subject).

                                The feedback has been tremendous. I think I'm starting to get a sense
                                of what the core issues are, and (hopefully) what can be done.

                                I've read every email on the three lists I was allowed to post on
                                (thanks again to the moderators for the leeway). Currently, I'm sorting
                                through it all.

                                Any more thoughts, ideas, etc, please share.

                                I'll be posting again on the topic towards the end of the weekend.

                                Best,
                                Andrew Bernhard
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 27, 2008
                                  I may as well offer my two cents about this topic.

                                  Speaking personally, the reasons why my own participation in e-list
                                  discussions have radically diminished can be distilled into two words:
                                  fatigue and boredom.

                                  My fatigue proceeds from trying to keep up with discussions on not only
                                  multiple e-lists but also an ever-growing number of blogs. These forums are
                                  too dispersed and it is simply too time intensive to follow them all.

                                  Boredom. It sometimes seems there is "nothing new under the sun". The topics
                                  of discussion on many lists and blogs frequently seem to be endlessly
                                  repetitive. Worse still, I have the impression (and I emphasis that it is
                                  only an impression) that many of the list participants pursue what can only
                                  be called an "apologetic" agenda. The redundancy itself is boring but
                                  persistent efforts to commandeer empirical scholarship to score theological
                                  points are nothing less than mind-numbing.

                                  Perhaps this discussion raises a legitimate question: What will it take to
                                  reinvigorate e-list participation? Again, speaking strictly from my own
                                  perspective, I'd be more interested in discussions about BIG issues rather
                                  than minutia. For example, I'd find it much more interesting to discuss WHY
                                  the Gospel of Thomas is an important artifact for the study of the
                                  development of "early Christianity" and HOW it either confirms or alters our
                                  collective historical consciousness instead of debating topics like the date
                                  of composition or the document's literary integrity.

                                  Okay, so maybe this is more than two cents worth, but in any case-there you
                                  have it.

                                  Rick Hubbard

                                  Humble Maine Woodsman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                                    Hi Roger,

                                    Yahoogroups allows four levels of contact between a group and a
                                    subscriber: "individual emails", "daily digest", "special notices", or
                                    "no email". The former two I would count as relatively interested
                                    members, the latter two as relatively uninterested - though there are
                                    exceptions like yourself. Judging from my own experience, most folks
                                    are probably subscribed to a lot of groups, get email from a few of them,
                                    check a few others from time to time, but (if they're like me) still belong
                                    many groups that they no longer pay much attention to. (BTW, I don't know
                                    what "special notices" are, or to whom they go.)

                                    When I began contacting "relatively uninterested" subscribers, they
                                    were 48% of our membership. Because they don't normally receive
                                    any email beyond the original group welcome, most of the addresses
                                    had been unverified for a long time, and it turned out that about twenty
                                    of them (as I recall off the top of my head) were dead addresses.
                                    These were deleted (I don't think any other group has ever done this),
                                    with the result that these types of subscribers dropped to around 40%.
                                    I received only two responses - your own and one other person. Another
                                    couple of folks unsubscribed - as I suggested they do if they were no
                                    longer interested in the list. Overall though, the response was markedly
                                    underwhelming, given a hundred or so messages sent out.

                                    As to this thread, I'm pleased to note that the number of responses on
                                    our list are about the same as appeared on Crosstalk - both substantially
                                    higher than those on John-Lit.

                                    Mike Grondin

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                                      Hi Andrew,

                                      I notice that one of the variables mentioned on Crosstalk was
                                      specialization, i.e., that groups with a narrow focus tended to
                                      fade away more readily than those with a broader focus. Well, of
                                      course our group has a rather narrow explicit focus, but I think
                                      that we've been open to many areas of interest which can reasonably
                                      be construed as relatively directly connected with the Gospel of Thomas
                                      and its manuscripts - from early Christian history in various geographic
                                      areas, to other Thomasine literature (The Book of Thomas the Contender,
                                      The Acts of Thomas - including notably the Hymn of the Pearl) to other
                                      tractates of Codex II, other sayings gospels (e.g., Q), even to the
                                      specifics of codex-production and the use of sacra nomina, and to issues
                                      of the preservation of ancient texts. In short, just about anything that can
                                      be directly connected to GThomas and its manuscripts is fair game, as
                                      far as I'm concerned. (As well as meta-issues, of course.)

                                    • Chris Weimer
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                                        Mike,

                                        You walk a dangerous line doing that, however. I have my subscription
                                        status as "No Email", but I still get every message that goes through
                                        gthomas because of bloglines RSS reader. Imagine if you came across my
                                        "No Email" status and deleted my subscription, and upon seeing this or
                                        another message went to post and found out that I couldn't!

                                        Chris Weimer
                                        University of Memphis

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                                          Hi Chris,

                                          Nice to hear from you. I don't follow your reasoning, however.
                                          As I said, I only deleted dead addresses, i.e., addresses where
                                          the server in question indicated that the address was no longer
                                          valid. Of course, if someone subscribes to a group with one
                                          email address, then lets it go dead and gets a Bloglines feed
                                          through another address, the scenario you suggest could happen.
                                          Doesn't sound like that's what you had in mind, though. Anyway,
                                          I didn't know that one could get group messages thru Bloglines.
                                          That's interesting. So there could be more folks listening in than
                                          we're aware of?

                                          Mike

                                          > Mike,
                                          >
                                          > You walk a dangerous line doing that, however. I have my subscription
                                          > status as "No Email", but I still get every message that goes through
                                          > gthomas because of bloglines RSS reader. Imagine if you came across my
                                          > "No Email" status and deleted my subscription, and upon seeing this or
                                          > another message went to post and found out that I couldn't!
                                          >
                                          > Chris Weimer
                                          > University of Memphis
                                        • Chris Weimer
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                                            Hey Mike,

                                            Ah, I see. I was hoping you weren't just deleting emails that didn't
                                            respond to you, as we're all busy enough to not respond to emails some
                                            point or another (I am all the time).

                                            I honestly don't know enough about the feeds and cookies of Yahoo
                                            groups, but I assume that the RSS feed should work for any group that
                                            allows RSS. I don't want to unsubscribe to see what happens, though.
                                            But certainly readership is probably higher than you expected. I know
                                            I'm not alone in using RSS readers to read email lists.

                                            All the best,

                                            Chris Weimer

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                                              Rick Hubbard wrote:
                                              > It sometimes seems there is "nothing new under the sun". The topics
                                              > of discussion on many lists and blogs frequently seem to be endlessly
                                              > repetitive. Worse still, I have the impression (and I [emphasize] that it
                                              > is only an impression) that many of the list participants pursue what can
                                              > only be called an "apologetic" agenda. The redundancy itself is boring
                                              > but persistent efforts to commandeer empirical scholarship to score
                                              > theological points are nothing less than mind-numbing.

                                              I agree, Rick. I'd only add that one of the factors that seems to contribute
                                              to repetition is the apparent love of scholars for undecidable questions.
                                              (This is apart from questions that _are_ decidable on empirical grounds,
                                              but which some participants insist on regarding as open questions.)

                                              > Perhaps this discussion raises a legitimate question: What will it take to
                                              > reinvigorate e-list participation? Again, speaking strictly from my own
                                              > perspective, I'd be more interested in discussions about BIG issues rather
                                              > than minutia. For example, I'd find it much more interesting to discuss
                                              > WHY the Gospel of Thomas is an important artifact for the study of the
                                              > development of "early Christianity" and HOW it either confirms or alters
                                              > our collective historical consciousness instead of debating topics like
                                              > the date of composition or the document's literary integrity.

                                              "Collective historical consciousness"? You're not going Jungian, are you?
                                              In any case, I wouldn't call the date of composition question 'minutia' so
                                              much as one of those questions endlessly debated precisely because
                                              it's essentially undecidable, so no one's in danger of being shown to be
                                              conclusively wrong (except maybe Nicholas Perrin :-).

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                                                Hi Mike--

                                                You Wrote:
                                                ||"Collective historical consciousness"? You're not going Jungian, are
                                                ||you?

                                                Jungian, Eh? Well, I don't think I've gone around that particular bend, but
                                                who knows. When I was growing bald, I didn't really notice that was
                                                happening either!

                                                Maybe I should clarify what I meant by "collective historical
                                                consciousness". In most societies there is a more or less shared
                                                understanding about cultural foundations. Among those foundations, and
                                                especially in the American tradition, is the almost subconscious conviction
                                                that the truths of certain primal stories of origin are unimpeachable. You
                                                know the ones I mean-George Washington slinging a silver dollar across the
                                                Potomac, and such. I'd guess that another set of these "myths of origin"
                                                probably includes communal beliefs that the Bible (66 books of it, no more
                                                and no less) accurately describe the genesis of our broader religious
                                                traditions (Christianity and Judaism). Since the closing decades of the
                                                nineteenth century, when critical historical scholarship became prominent,
                                                there seems to have been an increasing sense of un-ease about the way "that
                                                old time religion" has been called in to question more and more. I'm
                                                becoming increasingly interested about the social and cultural responses to
                                                this dissonance.

                                                The mere presence of the Gospel of Thomas is undeniable evidence that the
                                                legitimacy of conventional understandings of Western society's collective
                                                are suspect. The Gospel of Thomas, as well as the substantial number of
                                                other "non-canonical" texts that are more or less contemporaneous with it,
                                                have become "the elephants in the room" - they are pretty damn hard to miss,
                                                but nobody wants to admit they are there. What I find fascinating is the
                                                contrived responses to this herd of pachyderms.

                                                Lately I've been reading as much as I can find about North American
                                                scholarship and technological advances during the late nineteenth and early
                                                twentieth century. These three things, among others, contributed to the
                                                growth of a rabid fundamentalist movement in Christianity in the early
                                                twentieth century here in the United States. The fortunes of Christian
                                                fundamentalism have waxed and waned and the shape of the movement has
                                                frequently been re-shaped during the course of the last hundred years.
                                                Oddly, although fundamentalism has never been much more than a marginal
                                                segment of society it seems to have exerted much more influence on our
                                                collective historical consciousness than one would reasonably expect.

                                                In any case, awareness of the Gospel of Thomas MAY be contributing to the
                                                development of yet ANOTHER reactionary trend in the American religious
                                                traditions. I'm very interested in how this plays out, but somewhat less
                                                interested these days in the questions of GTh's compositional history or
                                                precisely when it all happened. It's NOT that these are unimportant topics,
                                                it simply that I find discussion about less compelling than in the past.

                                                Rick Hubbard
                                                Humble Maine Woodsman