Correspondence with Marvin Meyer

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      This is a report of my correspondence today with Prof.
      Marvin Meyer of Chapman University. There were four
      notes involved, and while I cannot quote from his messages,
      because he didn't respond to my request for permission to
      do so, I believe it wouldn't breach confidentiality to give the
      gist of it in my own words, bearing in mind that this is my own
      interpretation and he is not responsible for it. In my first note
      this morning, I laid out the evidence I had gathered from the
      Coptic CD last night, indicating that the Coptic RWME was used
      for both of the Greek words ANTHROPOS and ANHR - the latter
      of which was reserved for males. At the end of the note, I
      pointedly asked him whether he could think of any reason to
      suppose that this evidence wasn't decisive (as against his
      "Anthropos Principle" that RWME corresponded to, or was
      synonymous with, ANTHROPOS alone). His response was
      short and somewhat dismissive, but in essence, he sidestepped
      the question and thus implicitly admitted (one would not expect
      him to say so) that the Anthropos Principle was unsound.

      There were two other notes (I don't expect any more), because
      he had asked me why I was so deeply concerned about this matter.
      I replied that I had found it odd that some Thomas translations
      didn't contain the word 'man' at all, and others hardly at all, and
      was curious why this was so (given the 35 occurrences of RWME).
      I further stated that I found it bothersome that the decision to
      eliminate 'man' was based on an unsound justification. His response
      was again short (I'm beginning to think that most of his email is like
      that, maybe especially with nobodies like me), but somewhat friendlier -
      even to the point of his including me with himself as among folks
      who were trying to provide an accurate understanding of the texts. (!)

      Well, that's about it. I expect to at least post a short essay to my
      website within a few days. I'm thinking of calling it "The Anthropos
      Principle: How Some Thomas Translators Went Wrong". I'm sure
      neither Meyer nor Patterson will ever hear of it, since hardly anybody
      reads these things anyway, but I would like to get it off my chest so
      I can move on to something else.

      Cheers,