Re: [GTh] Facsimiles Online!

  • mottrogere3
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 7, 2008
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...>
      wrote:

      > You may not have been to my facsimiles page. See-
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_facs.htm
      >
      > As stated there, "The last six lines of page 51 are the
      > beginning of The Gospel of Phillip".
      >
      > Mike

      Hi Mike and Jack,

      Thanks for pointing me to the additional information regarding pages
      32 and 51. And Mike, I remember you have posted about numbers and the
      possible symbolism in them. Have you any thoughts about the row of
      (spheres that are connected in a herringbone fashion)? That row of
      symbols is located after the last saying #114 as a filler of the last
      line of the text in the GTh? There are apparently 2x19
      spheres/circles according to my count.

      ISTM that they were intentional rather than doodling; especially now
      seeing the border that follows the Apocryphon of John text. That
      series of symbols has 3 circles/spheres per symbol. All but the end
      one are connected by a horizontal line meaning something else?
      Perhaps 2 spheres into one spherical? The line right above the row
      of symbols is "Jesus Christ, Amen"

      And then below the row of symbols is the title "the Secret Revelation
      of John".

      Since you have copies of most of the Nag H. original Coptic text,
      have you noticed any different patterns at the ending of each
      document? I remember that we discussed the patterns on the leather
      bindings on the other list and the imbedded "cross" that is in the
      GTh.

      Roger Mott
      Waterloo, Iowa

      P.S. I too, ordered that paperback by Larry Hurtado based on your's
      and Jack's posts. Thanks.
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 16, 2008
        Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the Metzer translation, which is mildly
        embarassing, given the area of my PhD. :-) Mind you, there is nothing about
        the title of the book or the publication details that would suggest that I
        might find an English translation of anything in it and I'm trying to avoid
        other people's English translations as much as possible until I've done my
        own, so I haven't gone looking.

        I would also respect Metzger's opinion, but it remains the opinion of one
        scholar (as does Turner's or Quispel's or anyone else's) and there are
        other, equally eminent scholars who disagree with him and have put their
        reasons in writing. I actually don't have a particularly firm position on
        this, but I would find it much more helpful to hear *why* particular
        scholars hold particular opinions - the name alone isn't convincing.

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia