Facsimiles Online!

    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 3, 2008
      One of the projects I alluded to last night in my note to Jack
      Kilmon was to _finally_ get images of the Brill facsimiles
      of the GoT pages of Codex II online. Well, I've done it.
      I had to cut out the pages from my copy of the Facsimile
      edition in order to get good scans, but unless and until the
      Brill lawyers come calling (their copyright was 1977), these
      scans will be available from my main page under "Images"
      AND (tadah!) I've figured a way to view them in split-screen
      mode as well. This is really cool. Try it out at:

      http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/splitv.htm

      At the right side of the screen, you'll see some new lines
      labelled "Facsimiles of pages". You can now bring up the
      facsimile page containing the saying that you're looking at.
      There's only one difficulty, and I can't figure out how to
      do anything about it without a heck of a lot more work -
      you'll have to count down to the correct line of the image.
      What I mean is this: suppose you're looking at logion 19,
      for example. The page and line numbers given in the
      presentation indicate that it begins on line 17 of page 36
      of Codex II. No problem in bringing up page 36 in the
      bottom half of the screen, but you _will_ have to count
      down to line 17 to match it up. Well, hey, that's what I
      had to do, so I don't wanna hear any whining (:-)

      For those of you who don't have the Brill Facsimile Edition
      (and my guess is that most members don't), and who want
      the facsimiles for home use, you may be wise to print them
      from your browser sooner rather than later - just in case
      the Brill lawyers DO come calling, and convince me to
      remove them from my website. In the meantime, the
      enlargements are mostly really nice, if I do say so myself -
      though a couple of them aren't so nice because the Brill
      facsimile isn't so nice.

      Enjoy!
      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI (where spring is in the air)

      p.s.: What happened to earlychristianwritings.com?
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 16, 2008
        Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the Metzer translation, which is mildly
        embarassing, given the area of my PhD. :-) Mind you, there is nothing about
        the title of the book or the publication details that would suggest that I
        might find an English translation of anything in it and I'm trying to avoid
        other people's English translations as much as possible until I've done my
        own, so I haven't gone looking.

        I would also respect Metzger's opinion, but it remains the opinion of one
        scholar (as does Turner's or Quispel's or anyone else's) and there are
        other, equally eminent scholars who disagree with him and have put their
        reasons in writing. I actually don't have a particularly firm position on
        this, but I would find it much more helpful to hear *why* particular
        scholars hold particular opinions - the name alone isn't convincing.

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia