RE: [GTh] Comments Invited

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26 2:39 PM
      Hey Mike-

      I haven't gone through your new revision line-by-line, by any means, but I
      REALLY like the new format. Good Job, and do not quit.

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27 11:56 AM
        Thanks, Rick, for your encouragement. I've also received an
        offlist note from old buddy Kevin Johnson that I'll answer here.
        It involves the Coptic translation of Lk 11:28 that Kevin was
        good enough to look up and pass along to me. (It was an
        attachment to his note that would have been stripped off by
        Yahoogroups, so he had to send it offlist.) Unfortunately, I was
        unable to decipher the font used, so I turned to the St. Shenouda
        the Archimandrite Coptic Society CD-rom that's been mentioned
        here before.

        The short answer to the question of how Lk 11:28 was translated
        in ancient Sahidic is that it _does_ contain an equivalent of the
        conjunction 'and', though not the word 'and' itself. The Coptic
        reads as follows:

        "More blessed are they who listen to the word of God
        which (or who) keep it."

        The basic relevant difference between the Sahidic translation
        of Lk 11:28 and GTh 79.2 is this:

        Lk 11:28 -- ET-ARE2 (which keep)
        GTh79.2 -- AY-ARE2 (they [have] kept)

        This confirms the subtle but significant difference between these
        parallels, which is unfortunately hidden by harmonizing translations.
        (There are other differences, but this one is mostly ignored.)

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI