RE: [GTh] Two Thomases ?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
      Ariadne says:

      > I am working on the premise that the Gospel of Thomas was
      > Jesus own gospel, many reasons for saying this. And that
      > Mary Magdalene was the twin being praised. I am with the
      > early camp in dating this gospel, very early. I know that
      > April Rice, for instance, dates the 1st layer as early as 30
      > AD. I would not agree with stratifying the Gospel as Rice
      > has done and would say that about 83 to 89 of the sayings are
      > close enough to Jesus'
      > authentic teachings and words.

      I assume you mean April DeConick, who is currently a Professor at Rice
      University, seeing this sounds like her work. If this is who you mean, I am
      not sure that she would agree with a dating as early as 30 CE. All I can
      find in her most recent two books ("Recovering the Original Gospel of
      Thomas" and "The Original Gospel of Thomas in Translation") is the date 50
      CE as the beginning of the accretions on the kernel, so I'm wondering if you
      have a reference for the 30 CE date?

      Regards

      "Politics is the work we do to keep the world safe for our spirituality" -
      Judith Plaskow, Phoenix Rising, 2000

      Rev Judy Redman
      PhD candidate, Postgraduate member of Council & Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England Armidale 2351
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      web: http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~jredman2 and
      http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email: jredman2@...
    • ariadneg33
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
        Hi Maurice,
        I agree that the one who is praised is not the author of the Gospel
        and that a great deal of mystery lies within tri-fold name that could be viewed as a secret
        code in three different languages, all languages spoken in Jesus' community. There
        appears to be a motive of expressing inclusiveness in that.

        Regarding the mystery of the bridal chamber. I suggest
        familiarizing yourself with the Gospel of Philip 84:23-85:20 and 53:10-25 which describes
        the anointing in the Bridal Chamber, the Holy of Holies and with my book, Divine
        Complement which was published in 2006. You can access the entire book, on Google
        books and chapters 2 and 3 are the relevant chapter in understanding Thomas as well as
        Philip.

        Thomas saying 22 on "making the two one" expresses a
        complete metamorphosis of the individual beyond a mere enlightened awakening,
        one of unification of the divine aspects of the soul and one resulting in the rebirth
        into one's masculine and feminine (god/goddess) nature so that the hand becomes the
        instrument of God and one's image moves from human to the divine form.

        According to the Gospel of Philip Jesus had accomplished the resurrection through the
        living body not through death and had become Son of the Bridal Chamber through an
        anointing described as with a fire of white light. The path of unification described in
        Saying 22 is one that embraces the inner, the outer, the masculine, the feminine and one's
        own power to perform the miracles of the hand. The Gospel of Philip tells us this
        unification takes place in the Bridal Chamber. In my book, I define and describe the
        initiation in the Bridal Chamber.

        There are three in the equation, Didymus Judas Thomas, Twin-Praise God –Twin. It seems
        to be an equation of masculine and feminine unity or as I define it in my book "tri-unity"
        with God. Therefore the one being praised in my mind would most naturally have been
        Mary.
        Ariadne