Re: [GTh] Logion 5

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
      Thank you Mike ...

      When you point out "In L5, however, there's no referent, so it probably
      > means 'what' rather than 'who' ..." it seems to me that because we
      are dealing with something which Jesus said, it is safe to assume that
      he is "saying" it to someone as opposed to having said it
      to "something". Could a translator thus not more safely assume
      (according to the rules of grammar) that the reference is therefore to
      a person and not to a thing ?

      Maurice
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
        Maurice:
        > When you point out "In L5, however, there's no referent, so it probably
        > means 'what' rather than 'who' ..." it seems to me that because we
        > are dealing with something which Jesus said, it is safe to assume that
        > he is "saying" it to someone as opposed to having said it
        > to "something". Could a translator thus not more safely assume
        > (according to the rules of grammar) that the reference is therefore to
        > a person and not to a thing ?

        No. The fact that L5 has Jesus speaking to others has no implication
        whatsoever about WHAT it is that he is supposed to be saying.

        Here is a consideration you may not have thought about:
        If the first PET- in L5 is about a person (namely, Jesus), then the
        second PET- (in PEQHP) would seem to have to be also, as in:

        "Know he who is before you and he who is hidden from you will be revealed"

        I take it that you would want the second PET- to be a 'what' rather than a
        'who', and I think that undercuts your case, and supports the translation
        of the first PET- as a 'what' as well.