Re: [GTh] House of Israel / Judah

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2007
      Maurice:
      > As a general statement, the Thomasine Jesus, of course, seems much
      > more intolerant than the NT Jesus (c.f. logia 43, 98, 102 etc).

      I don't agree with your "of course". In fact, I don't have that impression
      at all. Jesus is plenty intolerant in John's Gospel.

      > Could it be, then, that in the Thomas logion on this theme (logion
      > 71) that the Thomasine Jesus is in fact referring to either "the
      > house" of Israel or the "house" of Judah, when speaking thus ????
      > Otherwise, why would John use the word "temple" (2.21 But he spoke
      > of the temple of his body) while Thomas uses the word "house"
      > or "dwelling"...

      One possibility is that the Temple was no longer relevant (because
      it was no longer in use) when L5 reached the form in which we find it.

      Mike
    • David Arbuckle
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2007
        Hello Mike,

        You said "One possibility is that the Temple was no longer relevant
        (because it was no longer in use) when L5 reached the form in which we find it."

        How do you come to that conclusion ? Are you of the thinking that
        Thomas is definitely Post Revolt ? Or because the Thomas Community
        was not in Jerusalem ?

        Regards,

        David Arbuckle

        Nokomis Florida
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
          David-

          What you call a "conclusion" was clearly labelled a "possibility".
          I've always been agnostic on date/place of origin, so I'm open to
          many possibilities.