House of Israel / Judah

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007
      To the average student of Thomas, logion 71 appears to the "naked
      eye" as a bit of a take off on John 2:18 - 22 ...

      2.18 The Jews then said to him, "What sign have you to show us for
      doing this?" 2.19 Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in
      three days I will raise it up." 2.20 The Jews then said, "It has
      taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up
      in three days?" 2.21 But he spoke of the temple of his body. 2.22
      When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered
      that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word
      which Jesus had spoken.

      The interesting part of this contrast, of course, is that in John's
      version of things, Jesus, who could be described as the "hunter" in
      Thomas' version (Jesus - "I" shall destroy this house ...), has
      suddenly become the "hunted" .... (If "you" - not "I" - destroy this
      temple, ... in three days "I will raise it" up).

      As a general statement, the Thomasine Jesus, of course, seems much
      more intolerant than the NT Jesus (c.f. logia 43, 98, 102 etc).
      Could it be, then, that in the Thomas logion on this theme (logion
      71) that the Thomasine Jesus is in fact referring to either "the
      house" of Israel or the "house" of Judah, when speaking thus ????
      Otherwise, why would John use the word "temple" (2.21 But he spoke
      of the temple of his body) while Thomas uses the word "house"
      or "dwelling"...

      Thoughts anyone ????

      Maurice