RE: [GTh] Re: Hellenist Material in Thomas

  • Ruiairdh Boid
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2007
      Reply to Frank McCoy.

      You have shown up some loose connections in my general argument as far as it
      applies to the Epistle of James. I would like to postpone any comment on the
      Epistle of James till I am ready to do it properly. The textual arguments
      brought forward are powerful. This doesn’t mean abandonment of the question.
      A post will follow eventually in which I either acknowledge that the Greek
      of the Epistle is the original, or bring up further arguments for my
      position. The items of evidence cited by you need to be taken one by one,
      and then perhaps categorised. I will have to look at a couple of published
      studies of the text. So thank you for reminding me I need to do a lot more
      work.

      Meanwhile, I still maintain my essential theses on the Gospels. Drastically
      oversimplifying, they can be reduced to two. (a) It would have been
      anomalous in the culture if the disciples of Jesus had not kept notes. I
      know we haven’t got these notes. The conventional view of the earliest
      stages of written composition needs re-examination from a different but
      related aspect, the awkward gap in written transmission of extensive and
      complicated and detailed material at the earliest stage. (b) There remains
      the question of what was read by speakers of Aramaic in Palestine and Syria
      -- that is, most of the population -- before the publication of the
      Diatessaron in about 172 A.D. This is connected with the question of why the
      Aramaic-speaking Church did not use the Four Gospels for a long while, but
      kept using the Diatessaron. This anomaly is so great that it usually passes
      unremarked.

      The question of the original language of the Gospel of Thomas depends on the
      question of whether it depends on the Diatessaron or not. I haven’t had time
      to read what Perrin says and assess his evidence yet. Please allow me a
      couple of weeks before committing myself.

      [Ruairidh Bóid]
      _____

      Ed note: A verbatim copy of Frank McCoy's note followed below,
      but has been removed in accordance with list protocols. (MWG)