Re: [GTh] Hellenist Material in Thomas

  • FMMCCOY@msn.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 9 1:47 PM
      Ron McCann writes, "In closing, Frank. Just one more point on the
      Jerusalem Council, the leadership of James and your suggestions that it
      was James sons of Zebbedee, not James the Just that lead it. I remember
      now reading something you posted about that and recall shaking my head
      at the time. How do you square that with the fact that Acts 12 tells us
      that James Zebedee was killed by Herod at about the same time that Peter
      was arrested by him and made his miraculous escape from Prison-
      something that occurs much much earlier and earlier in the account than
      the Jerusalem Council events?"

      Ron, if you re-read what I said, you will realize that what I maintain
      is that, Luke wants us to believe, the James of the Jerusalem Council is
      James *the son of Alphaeus*. Luke nowhere, in either Luke or Acts, ever
      states that Jesus had a brother named James. He names two James in
      Acts--one the son of Zebedee and the other the son of Alphaeus. Since
      the son of Zebedee was dead by the time of this Council, Luke implies
      that the James of this Council is the son of Alphaeus. It is only by
      illegitimate importation of ideas from outside the conceptual universe
      of Luke-Acts that anyone can conclude that the James of this Council
      meeting is a brother of Jesus. In any event, IMO, Luke's account of the
      Council meeting, including the edict, is bogus. IMO, if such an edict
      had ever been issued, Paul would have said something about it because it
      directly impacted on the Gentiles under his jurisdiction.

      Ron, you have an interesting line of argumentation in the rest of your
      post. I will be responding to it, but only after giving it much
      thought.

      Frank McCoy
      2036 E. Magnolia Ave.
      St. Paul, MN 55119

    • Ron McCann
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 9 3:43 PM
        Thanks, Frank.

        Clearly, I totally misunderstood you and the point you were making in your post, and further confused the references to James the son of Alphaeus and James the son of Zebedee. Can't keep track of so many durned Jameses! Creeping Alzheimers, no doubt.. (grin). My apologies.

        Ron