Re: [GTh] Hellenist Material in Thomas

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 28 10:17 AM
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, BitsyCat1@... wrote:

      > Nazareth was near sepphoris, The Greek showcase city of Herod
      > It was heavily Hellenistic influenced.
      > Nazareth is less than 2 miles a way..
      > Regards,
      > johnmoon3717@...

      John ...

      ... could you elaborate a bit. There seems to be two schools of
      thought on this, one suggesting that Nazareth never existed in Jesus'
      time, and that it was only "discovered" under questionable
      circumstances by Helena, mother of Constantine the Great 300 or so
      years after Jesus' death, and yet its opposite which clings to
      other "proofs" suggesting that Nazareth was a clearly defined village
      existent when Jesus was born. The outcrop of the argument is that the
      reference by Matt 2:23 "He shall be called a Nazarene." in the NT may
      or may not refer to Jesus having had an Essenes persuasion of values
      (not otherwise mentioned therein) versus the actual placename of
      Nazareth.

      Popular references to the agruments for and against can be found at:

      http://www.jususneverexisted.com/nazareth.html

      http://www.geocities.commetagetics/Nazareth.html

      - Maurice
    • Ron McCann
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 9, 2007
        Thanks, Frank.

        Clearly, I totally misunderstood you and the point you were making in your post, and further confused the references to James the son of Alphaeus and James the son of Zebedee. Can't keep track of so many durned Jameses! Creeping Alzheimers, no doubt.. (grin). My apologies.

        Ron