Re: [GTh] The Three Names

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
      Tom Hickcox writes:
      > 42 is also the answer to the great Question of Life, the Universe and
      > Everything, according to the computer Deep Thought in Douglas Adams
      > _The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

      Yep. As you can tell from the title of the Laura Joffe paper that I refer to
      in
      my note ("The Answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and the Elohistic
      Psalter"), she mentions that as sort of a frivolous add-on. From what I
      read,
      Adams had nothing mystical or symbolic in mind; just a funny number he
      remembered from working with John Cleese. I do think that the positioning
      of the shortest saying in the Thomas collection must have been based on
      a number of factors, both numeric and symbolic, and Joffe's ideas about the
      symbolic connotations of the number 42 seem to fit particularly well. (Don't
      know what to make of the fact that 42 was also known to be the sum of the
      first seven primes. At the moment, that doesn't strike me as having been
      the primary reason for the positioning, but it may have entered into it.)

      Mike Grondin
    • Chris Weimer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hi Mike,

        I also question whether that fact plays any significance. Also from
        Joffe's article one notices that it's not just 42, but also things
        related to 42, such as the "42,000 Ephraimites are slain for not being
        able to say 'shibboleth' in Judg."

        Or perhaps it originally started as the sum of the first seven primes
        and later got morphed into anything related to 42?

        Also perhaps pertinent is that 42 halfed is 21, or 3 x 7, and a factor
        of 10 less than the product of the sizes of the three names.

        But then again, I don't think it's perhaps more modern thinking
        catching coincidences than anything else. After all, you do have to
        switch from IH to IS - I don't see it justified.

        Perhaps I'm more skeptical than I should be.

        Chris Weimer

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
          Chris Weimer wrote:
          > ... from Joffe's article one notices that it's not just 42, but also
          > things
          > related to 42, such as the "42,000 Ephraimites are slain for not being
          > able to say 'shibboleth' in Judg."

          Multiples of a symbolic number are legitimate. Especially tens-multiples.

          > Also perhaps pertinent is that 42 halfed is 21, or 3 x 7, and a factor
          > of 10 less than the product of the sizes of the three names.

          And the value of the nomen sacrum IS.

          > But then again, I don't think it's perhaps more modern thinking
          > catching coincidences than anything else. After all, you do have to
          > switch from IH to IS - I don't see it justified.

          Are you referring to my mini-paper here? Actually, it's quite justified.
          Hurtado proposed that IH was the earliest abbreviation, but he cites
          other authorities who think that IH and IS arose around the same time.
          Given that IH is the sum of the first five primes, and IS their product,
          it seems more likely that the other authorities are right, since anyone
          familiar with the one fact would likely have been familiar with the other
          as well. (Remember that the folks responsible for the nomina sacra
          were contemplating what they regarded as the mystery of the sacred
          name. To ignore _that_ is what's anachronistic.) Note also that the
          contracted form IS is composed of first and last letter - alpha and
          omega of the sacred name, as it were. If anything, devotion to Jesus
          seems more evident in IS than IH.