Re: [GTh] Re: Thomas 79//Luke 11:27-28

  • Benedict Lo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2007
      In GTh, there are several antonyms of MAKARIOS and NEEIATx. I am not sure that these examples help us better understand the two words used in GTh or make us even confusing.

      BWTE [BHT] means "foul, pollute"
      (GTh4-b)
      …And foul is the man whom a lion will eat and the lion will become human.

      TALAIPWROS (a Greek-load word) means "miserable – wretched"
      (GTh87)
      Jesus said, "Wretched (miserable) is the body that depends on a body, and wretched is the soul that depends on these two."

      OUOI [OUAEI, OUOEI] means "woe"
      (GTh 102)
      Jesus said, "Woe to the Pharisees! They are like a dog lying in the manger of the cattle. He neither eats nor does he allow the cattle to eat."

      (GTh 112)
      Jesus said, "Woe! The flesh depends on the soul. Woe! The soul depends on the flesh."

      GTh 87 and GTh112 show very subtle difference of using 'wretched (TALAIPWROS)' and 'woe (OUOEI)' as well as the content between the two sayings.