RE: [GTh] DeConick on the Gospel of Judas

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007

      It's OK - I wasn't offended. I bought the paperback version of Recovering
      the Original Gospel of Thomas and it was much, much cheaper than the
      hardcover. Amazon has the hard cover for $130 and the paperback for $39.95
      (this is USD). Perhaps you should have hinted about it for Christmas? :-)

      Because I needed it for my research, I bit the bullet and spend a third of
      my year's resource allowance on the hard cover Thomas in Translation. At
      one level it's been well worth the money, but at another level you could pay
      a teacher's salary in a developing country for six months or more for the
      amount I spent on it. :-( Not that I could have given the money to a
      teacher in a developing country if I hadn't spent it on study resources.

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/
      email: jredman@...
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
        On the question of keeping up with blogs, there are a variety of
        options, but as Stephen Carlson mentions, the best thing to do is to
        familiarize yourself with the phenomenon of RSS feeds, and getting the
        fresh, up-to-date content from your favourite blogs (and websites and
        e-lists and podcasts, and whatever else) delivered direct to your
        computer. If you are new to all this, a good starting point is Google
        Reader's FAQ at http://www.google.com/help/reader/faq.html . On
        biblioblogs specifically, see -- in addition to Chris Weimer's
        (previously mentioned) -- the Biblioblogs list at
        http://www.biblioblogs.com/ . I have a dynamic rendering of my own
        blogroll via Google Reader at http://ntgateway.com/weblog/ (left hand
        side of the screen) -- this gives you fresh posts from around the
        biblioblogosphere as they happen, or go direct to
        http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13782572217034147587/label/blogroll
        .

        On the issue of the cost of April DeConick's books, it is my
        understanding that the Original Gospel of Thomas in Translation will
        also be available in paperback before long. In this series (Library
        of New Testament Studies), the more popular titles come out in
        hardback first, and then are released in paperback six months later.
        Where there is no paperback available, the theory is that one can ask
        for the 50% scholars discount. Unfortunately, the latter is not very
        well publicised and it is my impression that Continuum are steadily
        edging away from this, but it is my understanding (and I edit this
        series) that the discount still obtains.

        All best

        --
        Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
        Associate Professor