Re: [GTh] DeConick on the Gospel of Judas

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4 11:38 PM
      [Mike]:
      > Who would have expected it from an author of dry-as-dust $150 books?
      [Judy]:
      > I wonder what the fact that I've found both April's recent books on Thomas
      > fascinating says about me, then? Do I need to get out and get a life. :-)

      Sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Of course April's
      books would be fascinating to me as well (as soon as I can get
      a copy in my limited price-range). But what controversy there
      might be in them would be of the low-key academic sort. What
      she's put on her blog stirs up lots of folks who have no special
      interest in Thomas. As to being unexpected that she would do
      a blog of that sort, well, probably not that either. Although not
      an academic myself, I can well imagine that someone who's
      spent a lot of time writing for other academics - which is really
      hard work - might enjoy the opportunity to opine on a variety of
      issues in a more relaxed, informal manner, without having to
      worry about justifying those opinions to the n-th degree.

      G'day,
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5 2:23 AM

        It's OK - I wasn't offended. I bought the paperback version of Recovering
        the Original Gospel of Thomas and it was much, much cheaper than the
        hardcover. Amazon has the hard cover for $130 and the paperback for $39.95
        (this is USD). Perhaps you should have hinted about it for Christmas? :-)

        Because I needed it for my research, I bit the bullet and spend a third of
        my year's resource allowance on the hard cover Thomas in Translation. At
        one level it's been well worth the money, but at another level you could pay
        a teacher's salary in a developing country for six months or more for the
        amount I spent on it. :-( Not that I could have given the money to a
        teacher in a developing country if I hadn't spent it on study resources.

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia
        ph: +61 2 6773 3739
        fax: +61 2 6773 3749
        web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/
        email: jredman@...
      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7 11:34 AM
          On the question of keeping up with blogs, there are a variety of
          options, but as Stephen Carlson mentions, the best thing to do is to
          familiarize yourself with the phenomenon of RSS feeds, and getting the
          fresh, up-to-date content from your favourite blogs (and websites and
          e-lists and podcasts, and whatever else) delivered direct to your
          computer. If you are new to all this, a good starting point is Google
          Reader's FAQ at http://www.google.com/help/reader/faq.html . On
          biblioblogs specifically, see -- in addition to Chris Weimer's
          (previously mentioned) -- the Biblioblogs list at
          http://www.biblioblogs.com/ . I have a dynamic rendering of my own
          blogroll via Google Reader at http://ntgateway.com/weblog/ (left hand
          side of the screen) -- this gives you fresh posts from around the
          biblioblogosphere as they happen, or go direct to
          http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13782572217034147587/label/blogroll
          .

          On the issue of the cost of April DeConick's books, it is my
          understanding that the Original Gospel of Thomas in Translation will
          also be available in paperback before long. In this series (Library
          of New Testament Studies), the more popular titles come out in
          hardback first, and then are released in paperback six months later.
          Where there is no paperback available, the theory is that one can ask
          for the 50% scholars discount. Unfortunately, the latter is not very
          well publicised and it is my impression that Continuum are steadily
          edging away from this, but it is my understanding (and I edit this
          series) that the discount still obtains.

          All best

          --
          Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
          Associate Professor