RE: [GTh] DeConick on the Gospel of Judas

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      At 11:08 PM 2/4/2007 +1100, Judy Redman wrote:
      >I hadn't had much to do with biblioblogs, either, but am also finding
      >April's (and some others) quite interesting. The only problem I find is
      >getting around to going to have a look at them on a regular basis. Having
      >people's comments delivered by email as they're posted is more convenient
      >IMHO.

      One way to keep up with all the blogs is to use a feed reader
      like Bloglines. http://www.bloglines.com/

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Chris Weimer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        I try to keep a pretty encompassing list on my own blog:

        http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/

        I do urge everyone to keep themselves informed with blogs; they're a
        great tool.~

        Chris Weimer

        http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
          [Mike]:
          > Who would have expected it from an author of dry-as-dust $150 books?
          [Judy]:
          > I wonder what the fact that I've found both April's recent books on Thomas
          > fascinating says about me, then? Do I need to get out and get a life. :-)

          Sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Of course April's
          books would be fascinating to me as well (as soon as I can get
          a copy in my limited price-range). But what controversy there
          might be in them would be of the low-key academic sort. What
          she's put on her blog stirs up lots of folks who have no special
          interest in Thomas. As to being unexpected that she would do
          a blog of that sort, well, probably not that either. Although not
          an academic myself, I can well imagine that someone who's
          spent a lot of time writing for other academics - which is really
          hard work - might enjoy the opportunity to opine on a variety of
          issues in a more relaxed, informal manner, without having to
          worry about justifying those opinions to the n-th degree.

          G'day,
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007

            It's OK - I wasn't offended. I bought the paperback version of Recovering
            the Original Gospel of Thomas and it was much, much cheaper than the
            hardcover. Amazon has the hard cover for $130 and the paperback for $39.95
            (this is USD). Perhaps you should have hinted about it for Christmas? :-)

            Because I needed it for my research, I bit the bullet and spend a third of
            my year's resource allowance on the hard cover Thomas in Translation. At
            one level it's been well worth the money, but at another level you could pay
            a teacher's salary in a developing country for six months or more for the
            amount I spent on it. :-( Not that I could have given the money to a
            teacher in a developing country if I hadn't spent it on study resources.

            Rev Judy Redman
            Uniting Church Chaplain
            University of New England
            Armidale 2351 Australia
            ph: +61 2 6773 3739
            fax: +61 2 6773 3749
            web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/
            email: jredman@...
          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
              On the question of keeping up with blogs, there are a variety of
              options, but as Stephen Carlson mentions, the best thing to do is to
              familiarize yourself with the phenomenon of RSS feeds, and getting the
              fresh, up-to-date content from your favourite blogs (and websites and
              e-lists and podcasts, and whatever else) delivered direct to your
              computer. If you are new to all this, a good starting point is Google
              Reader's FAQ at http://www.google.com/help/reader/faq.html . On
              biblioblogs specifically, see -- in addition to Chris Weimer's
              (previously mentioned) -- the Biblioblogs list at
              http://www.biblioblogs.com/ . I have a dynamic rendering of my own
              blogroll via Google Reader at http://ntgateway.com/weblog/ (left hand
              side of the screen) -- this gives you fresh posts from around the
              biblioblogosphere as they happen, or go direct to
              http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13782572217034147587/label/blogroll
              .

              On the issue of the cost of April DeConick's books, it is my
              understanding that the Original Gospel of Thomas in Translation will
              also be available in paperback before long. In this series (Library
              of New Testament Studies), the more popular titles come out in
              hardback first, and then are released in paperback six months later.
              Where there is no paperback available, the theory is that one can ask
              for the 50% scholars discount. Unfortunately, the latter is not very
              well publicised and it is my impression that Continuum are steadily
              edging away from this, but it is my understanding (and I edit this
              series) that the discount still obtains.

              All best

              --
              Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
              Associate Professor