DeConick on the Gospel of Judas

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      I have a confession to make. Until this past week, I've never
      paid much attention to blogs in general, or even to so-called
      'biblioblogs' (a term for blogs related to biblical studies,
      which no one seems happy with, but for which no one seems
      to have a satisfactory replacement). Oh, sure, I knew they
      were out there, but it was only when April DeConick posted
      a response to Mark Goodacre's paper on her blog that I
      started paying serious attention to any biblioblog. Even then,
      however, my attention was focused on that one posting and
      Mark's response to it. But tonight, I decided to read _all_
      the entries in DeConick's blog, and, to use a cliche, I was
      blown away. Far from being as bland as I had found her
      response to Mark to be, her other postings have quite the
      fire to them. Not only that, but she is saying things that I
      think need to be said about the historical study of early
      Christianity and its texts (including the non-canonical).
      Who would have expected it from an author of dry-as-dust
      $150 books?

      Anyway, April has a very nice posting on the Gospel of
      Judas, dated Jan 29th. This link should take you there:

      http://forbiddengospels.blogspot.com/search?q=Judas

      Here's a foretaste, to whet your whistle:
      "My examination of the Coptic transcription has led me to
      think that certain translational errors and one mistaken
      reconstruction of a Coptic line led the [NG] team to the
      erroneous conclusion that Judas is a saint destined to
      join the holy generation of the Gnostics. The result is that
      certain claims have been made by National Geographic
      that the Gospel of Judas says things it just does NOT say ..."

      "I am writing a book for general audiences (What Does
      the Gospel of Judas REALLY Say?) as quickly as I can.
      It will include a corrected translation and interpretation,
      one in which Judas is as evil as ever."

      I'm glad to see that one of my and Rick's personal
      good-guys, John Turner, is of the same opinion as
      April. On the other hand, I think that Marvin Meyer
      has come off quite badly in this. Actually worse than
      claiming that the Gospel of Judas paints Judas as a
      hero is to claim (as Meyer also does) that the Gospel
      of Judas might actually tell us something about what
      really happened! That, to me, is prima facie evidence
      of corruption of critical judgment, and I think it came
      from being part of the National Geographic team.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        Mike writes:

        > I have a confession to make. Until this past week, I've never
        > paid much attention to blogs in general, or even to so-called
        > 'biblioblogs' (a term for blogs related to biblical studies,
        > which no one seems happy with, but for which no one seems to
        > have a satisfactory replacement).

        I hadn't had much to do with biblioblogs, either, but am also finding
        April's (and some others) quite interesting. The only problem I find is
        getting around to going to have a look at them on a regular basis. Having
        people's comments delivered by email as they're posted is more convenient
        IMHO.

        > Who would have expected it from an author of dry-as-dust $150 books?

        I wonder what the fact that I've found both April's recent books on Thomas
        fascinating says about me, then? Do I need to get out and get a life. :-)

        Judy
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
          At 11:08 PM 2/4/2007 +1100, Judy Redman wrote:
          >I hadn't had much to do with biblioblogs, either, but am also finding
          >April's (and some others) quite interesting. The only problem I find is
          >getting around to going to have a look at them on a regular basis. Having
          >people's comments delivered by email as they're posted is more convenient
          >IMHO.

          One way to keep up with all the blogs is to use a feed reader
          like Bloglines. http://www.bloglines.com/

          Stephen
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • Chris Weimer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
            I try to keep a pretty encompassing list on my own blog:

            http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/

            I do urge everyone to keep themselves informed with blogs; they're a
            great tool.~

            Chris Weimer

            http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
              [Mike]:
              > Who would have expected it from an author of dry-as-dust $150 books?
              [Judy]:
              > I wonder what the fact that I've found both April's recent books on Thomas
              > fascinating says about me, then? Do I need to get out and get a life. :-)

              Sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Of course April's
              books would be fascinating to me as well (as soon as I can get
              a copy in my limited price-range). But what controversy there
              might be in them would be of the low-key academic sort. What
              she's put on her blog stirs up lots of folks who have no special
              interest in Thomas. As to being unexpected that she would do
              a blog of that sort, well, probably not that either. Although not
              an academic myself, I can well imagine that someone who's
              spent a lot of time writing for other academics - which is really
              hard work - might enjoy the opportunity to opine on a variety of
              issues in a more relaxed, informal manner, without having to
              worry about justifying those opinions to the n-th degree.

              G'day,
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007

                It's OK - I wasn't offended. I bought the paperback version of Recovering
                the Original Gospel of Thomas and it was much, much cheaper than the
                hardcover. Amazon has the hard cover for $130 and the paperback for $39.95
                (this is USD). Perhaps you should have hinted about it for Christmas? :-)

                Because I needed it for my research, I bit the bullet and spend a third of
                my year's resource allowance on the hard cover Thomas in Translation. At
                one level it's been well worth the money, but at another level you could pay
                a teacher's salary in a developing country for six months or more for the
                amount I spent on it. :-( Not that I could have given the money to a
                teacher in a developing country if I hadn't spent it on study resources.

                Rev Judy Redman
                Uniting Church Chaplain
                University of New England
                Armidale 2351 Australia
                ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/
                email: jredman@...
              • Mark Goodacre
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                  On the question of keeping up with blogs, there are a variety of
                  options, but as Stephen Carlson mentions, the best thing to do is to
                  familiarize yourself with the phenomenon of RSS feeds, and getting the
                  fresh, up-to-date content from your favourite blogs (and websites and
                  e-lists and podcasts, and whatever else) delivered direct to your
                  computer. If you are new to all this, a good starting point is Google
                  Reader's FAQ at http://www.google.com/help/reader/faq.html . On
                  biblioblogs specifically, see -- in addition to Chris Weimer's
                  (previously mentioned) -- the Biblioblogs list at
                  http://www.biblioblogs.com/ . I have a dynamic rendering of my own
                  blogroll via Google Reader at http://ntgateway.com/weblog/ (left hand
                  side of the screen) -- this gives you fresh posts from around the
                  biblioblogosphere as they happen, or go direct to
                  http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13782572217034147587/label/blogroll
                  .

                  On the issue of the cost of April DeConick's books, it is my
                  understanding that the Original Gospel of Thomas in Translation will
                  also be available in paperback before long. In this series (Library
                  of New Testament Studies), the more popular titles come out in
                  hardback first, and then are released in paperback six months later.
                  Where there is no paperback available, the theory is that one can ask
                  for the 50% scholars discount. Unfortunately, the latter is not very
                  well publicised and it is my impression that Continuum are steadily
                  edging away from this, but it is my understanding (and I edit this
                  series) that the discount still obtains.

                  All best

                  --
                  Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
                  Associate Professor