Re: [GTh] Th79 vs. Lk 11:27-28 + 23:29

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007
      On 02/02/07, Michael Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

      > Yes, but on the other hand, the Sahidic translation
      > of Lk 11:27 contained on the Coptic CD I have* (which
      > is supposed to be from old manuscripts) has WAxE
      > as translation of Luke's LOGOS. Wouldn't that suggest
      > that if the Copts were translating from Greek, they would
      > normally have used WAxE? What do you make of that?
      > (What I would make of it is that at this particular point in
      > Coptic Thomas, the translators may have specifically
      > wanted to use LOGOS, though WAxE was the norm.)

      Thanks for that interesting point. Yes, and we can further gather
      that from the choice of WAxE to translate LOGOS in Thomas Incipit and
      1. I don't have an explanation except to add that it makes the case
      for LOGOS in Thomas's Vorlage here strong.

      Mark
      --
      Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
      Associate Professor

      http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
    • Benedict Lo
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2007
        We find some places in GTh that the same word in GTh has a different meaning in its Synoptic counterparts.
        Can somebody tell us what is "Word of God / Father" in singular meant in GTh79 and in the same time making sense to the entire GTh?
        This question is open for discussion. Certainly Mark and Mike's comments are most welcome.

        Thanks.

        Benedict