Re: [GTh] Ther Hudson Book

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2007
      [John Moon]:
      > If as you suggest the apochraphon and 3 codices
      > were purposely arranged into a certain number of letters.

      I have no idea what you mean by "the apochraphon
      (sic) and 3 codices", but insofar as I can understand
      the whole of the above statement, it seems to be a
      hopelessly muddled reference to two suggestions I've
      made in the past, namely that (1) ApJohn-GTh-GPh
      (which are tractates, not codices) were arranged to
      have a certain number of lines (not letters) in Codex
      II, and that (2) GTh was arranged to have a certain
      number of letters.

      > The Coptic Scribe would be aware, that there
      > were at least Two versions of that text [ApJohn].
      > There were perhaps more.

      Three non-identical copies in the codices; two basic
      versions ("short recension" and "long recension").

      > Wouldn't the usage of a plural [in the title of ApJohn
      > in Codex II] suggest that indeed the Coptic Scribe
      > did exactly what you have suggested. That he was
      > aware of that and this was only one of multiple texts
      > of the apochrophon of John.

      I don't think the plural (if it is that) came from recognition
      by the scribe that there were other versions of ApJohn.
      (The "exactly what you have suggested" is of course
      erroneous. See earlier remarks.)

      > If this is applied to the three Texts together?
      > It would suggest that The Scribe knew exactly
      > what he was doing and noted it. (Gospel of Thomas,
      > Gospel of Philip, Ap. John.

      I think there's some possibility that the title of
      ApJohn in Codex II might be indication of the
      trilogy you mention. But that's speculation, and
      I've tried to stay away from that lately.