RE: [GTh] Copyright Infringement

  • Tom Hickcox
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
      At 17:02 1/19/2007 , Rick Hubbard wrote:

      >Gee, there is certainly a lot of sensible advice from folks on this
      >outrageous situation, all of which could be pursued. In any case, what ever
      >steps you take, and in whatever sequence you take those steps, I assure you
      >it is best to take action immediately.
      >
      >The advice to post a "review" of the book on the Amazon is especially
      >intriguing. I'll order a copy and submit the first "review."
      >
      >If anyone else wants to look at the thing so they can submit their own
      >"review", contact me off-list and I'll figure out a way to ship it to you.

      I do not believe one has to order the book in order to write a review. I
      do believe you have to be registered with Amazon, but if you ever bought a
      book from them, you are likely registered.

      Just now I went and after clicking a couple of places, was offered a form
      on which to type a review. I do not know if they screen these.

      Tom Hickcox
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2007
        Latest news on this front is that Gary Hudson has
        responded in timely fashion to my notes to Vesica
        Press. Among other things, he indirectly reminded
        me that - contrary to my statement in an earlier
        note - we _had_ been in contact a year and a half
        ago on this very issue.

        Although I didn't recall it, we did in fact have a brief
        exchange back on June 28, 2005. Judy's memory is
        correct that back then she and I and Gary were active
        on the GospelofThomas list. Soon after I had had an
        exchange with him on that list, he sent me a note
        requesting permission to use my "GoT translations"
        in a "forthcoming book". My complete reply to him
        was as follows:
        The only "translation" that's mine is the word-for-word
        translation that appears under each Coptic line. I've
        never done a translation other than that. The translation
        up top of each saying is Lambdin's. I'm not sure how
        one could use the word-for-word by itself, since in a lot
        of places it's awkward, or needs explanation for other
        reasons (such as that Coptic had no true passive voice).
        Some folks have used the word-for-word for the purpose
        of checking their own translations, and you can see how
        they worded their acknowledgements at
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/z_transl.htm
        ("Notices in Print"). You can do that too, if you want.
        As for quoting the word-for-word in the body of a book,
        though, I'd have serious doubts whether that's a good
        thing to do.
        -------------------- (end quote) ----------------------------------

        Mr. Hudson now says that he took these comments to
        be "tacit approval" of some sort or other, though he
        admits he might have misunderstood. Indeed. At any rate,
        I'll leave it at that for now, since I'm in communication with
        him, but I did want to correct my one misstatement and fill
        in some background information that casts the situation in
        a somewhat different light.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2007
          So Mike, you now know that if anyone emails you in future about using your
          work in a forthcoming book, you should be more careful about how you reply
          and ask some questions about how it is going to be used and on the basis of
          that put restrictions on how it needs to be acknowledged (or whether you're
          happy to have it used in that way at all).

          Your interlinear *is* very useful, and it's quite likely that other people
          might well want to use it for similar purposes to Hudson, in the same way
          that a large number of Christians who have no Greek use interlinears. In
          other words, some people use them to help them understand what people who do
          know Greek well are saying, while others use them to validate creative
          theories about the meaning of the text. You may get more such requests

          My impression of many of the people on the GospelofThomas list is that they
          are enthusiastic amateurs, many of whom are looking at the text as
          Scripture, something on which to base how they live their lives. If Hudson
          has, indeed, decided to publish his own book, or is using a publishing
          company owned/run an equally naive friend, this is probably a genuine
          mistake. Which doesn't, of course, remove the problem that your text has
          been published as part of a book which probably contains material with which
          you would prefer not to be associated. Maybe an erratum to be included with
          the rest of the print run?

          I will be interested to see what Rick makes of his copy when it arrives.
          You *are* going to review it for us, aren't you, Rick?

          Judy

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 21, 2007
            Judy wrote:

            I will be interested to see what Rick makes of his copy when it arrives.
            You *are* going to review it for us, aren't you, Rick?

            Yep. Soon as it comes.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 22, 2007
              [Judy wrote]:
              > I will be interested to see what Rick makes of his
              > copy when it arrives.

              Just to let you know, Judy, that I'm also getting a copy of
              this book in the near future. (I was advised that I should do
              that before taking any further action.) Two copies, in fact,
              since I first ordered it from Amazon, then Gary Hudson
              said he would send me a copy - alas too late to cancel
              my Amazon order. So sometime late this week or early
              next, Rick and I can compare impressions.

              Best,
              Mike
            • Paul Lanier
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 22, 2007
                Hi Judy,

                A couple of thoughts based on the Business Law class I took last year. An attorney should be consulted but this is my understanding.

                A contractual agreement does not exist unless both parties agree to specifics. If a contract is vague it cannot be enforced. Moreover both sides must receive something of value in order for a contract to exist. The safest way to respond to an offer may be to ignore it. In that case there is no contract.

                If one gives something to another without compensation, it's a gift and it must have been given without any doubt. The mere claim that the recipient thought it was a gift is insufficient.

                Finally, in the absence of a specific agreement, copyright is always retained by the author.

                regards, Paul

                So Mike, you now know that if anyone emails you in future about using your
                work in a forthcoming book, you should be more careful about how you reply
                and ask some questions about how it is going to be used and on the basis of
                that put restrictions on how it needs to be acknowledged (or whether you're
                happy to have it used in that way at all).

                Your interlinear *is* very useful, and it's quite likely that other people
                might well want to use it for similar purposes to Hudson, in the same way
                that a large number of Christians who have no Greek use interlinears. In
                other words, some people use them to help them understand what people who do
                know Greek well are saying, while others use them to validate creative
                theories about the meaning of the text. You may get more such requests

                My impression of many of the people on the GospelofThomas list is that they
                are enthusiastic amateurs, many of whom are looking at the text as
                Scripture, something on which to base how they live their lives. If Hudson
                has, indeed, decided to publish his own book, or is using a publishing
                company owned/run an equally naive friend, this is probably a genuine
                mistake. Which doesn't, of course, remove the problem that your text has
                been published as part of a book which probably contains material with which
                you would prefer not to be associated. Maybe an erratum to be included with
                the rest of the print run?

                I will be interested to see what Rick makes of his copy when it arrives.
                You *are* going to review it for us, aren't you, Rick?

                Judy

              • Ron McCann
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 22, 2007
                  At 09:41 PM 22/01/07, Paul wrote:

                  >Hi Judy,
                  >
                  >A couple of thoughts based on the Business Law class I took last
                  >year. An attorney should be consulted but this is my understanding.
                  >
                  >A contractual agreement does not exist unless both parties agree to
                  >specifics. If a contract is vague it cannot be enforced. Moreover
                  >both sides must receive something of value in order for a contract
                  >to exist. The safest way to respond to an offer may be to ignore it.
                  >In that case there is no contract.
                  >
                  >If one gives something to another without compensation, it's a gift
                  >and it must have been given without any doubt. The mere claim that
                  >the recipient thought it was a gift is insufficient.
                  >
                  >Finally, in the absence of a specific agreement, copyright is always
                  >retained by the author.
                  >
                  >regards, Paul

                  You can consent to, or waive a copyright infringement without
                  any"consideration"
                  being offered, accepted or exchanged. No contract need be involved.

                  Ron McCann
                  Barrister & Solicitor
                  (Retired).
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 22, 2007
                    Paul,

                    I'm not a lawyer and I live in Australia, so I don't want to venture an
                    opinion about US copyright law, but what is legal and what is sensible are
                    sometimes two different things.

                    Because Mike isn't (as far as I know) earning any money from his
                    interlinear, taking legal action against people who use it inappropriately
                    is a nuisance and at one level probably not worth the bother. At another
                    level, it is quite likely that his work is now in published form in a book
                    that contains interpretations of Thomas with which he doesn't want to be
                    associated and while (as I understand it) he isn't a professional Thomas
                    scholar, he still values his good name within the scholarly community. We
                    all know the background, but there are Thomas scholars not on this list (!)
                    who might well pick up Hudson's book, decide it's very lightweight and
                    therefore make a wrong judgement about Mike for agreeing to have his
                    interlinear published in it.

                    In the situation at the time, simply ignoring the email would have come
                    across as rude and arrogant. It would have been better if, when Hudson
                    initially posed his question, Mike had said something like "I'm not happy to
                    have the interlinear published without my seeing the text with which it's
                    going to be associated. Feel free to point people to the URL, though, and
                    they can download it with my blessing." Instead, he let his natural modesty
                    lead the way and he said something that was a bit vague and was
                    misinterpreted and he is now in an awkward situation, even if he has the law
                    on his side.

                    Rev Judy Redman
                    Uniting Church Chaplain
                    University of New England
                    Armidale 2351 Australia
                    ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                    fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                    web: http://www.une.edu.au/chaplaincy/uniting/
                    email: jredman@...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 22, 2007
                      Hi Judy,
                      Some responses to your latest note:

                      > Because Mike isn't (as far as I know) earning
                      > any money from his interlinear ...

                      Not a dime.

                      > ... it is quite likely that [Mike's] work is now in published
                      > form in a book that contains interpretations of Thomas
                      > with which he doesn't want to be associated and while
                      > (as I understand it) he isn't a professional Thomas scholar,
                      > he still values his good name within the scholarly community.

                      Exactly so.

                      > We all know the background, but there are Thomas scholars
                      > not on this list (!) who might well pick up Hudson's book,
                      > decide it's very lightweight and therefore make a wrong
                      > judgement about Mike for agreeing to have his interlinear
                      > published in it.

                      On the up side, Gary Hudson tells me that only one copy
                      had been sold at the time he wrote. Evidently, Rick and I
                      have accounted for a 200% increase in sales! But yes,
                      whether I'm inclined to let it slide or not depends a lot on
                      what's in the book. I suspect I won't like it, but we'll see.

                      > It would have been better if, when Hudson initially posed
                      > his question, Mike had said something like "I'm not happy
                      > to have the interlinear published without my seeing the text
                      > with which it's going to be associated. ..." Instead, he let
                      > his natural modesty lead the way and he said something
                      > that was a bit vague and was misinterpreted ...

                      I look at it as realism, not modesty. I can see that what I
                      was thinking at the time I wrote the note wasn't whether
                      _Gary_ should publish the interlinear, but whether _anyone_
                      should publish it in current form. Maybe this confused him,
                      but when I concluded that I didn't think it was a good idea
                      in general, I thought that the implication of that for his
                      specific request was clear enough. In future, I'll shoot
                      down the request first and ask questions later!

                    • Paul Lanier
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2007
                        Thanks Ron,
                        What I'm saying is that if you just ignore a request for use of material then use of the material cannot be considered by contract nor gift. It's just theft :)
                        regards, Paul

                        >A couple of thoughts based on the Business Law class I took last

                        >year. An attorney should be consulted but this is my understanding.

                        >A contractual agreement does not exist unless both parties agree to

                        >specifics. If a contract is vague it cannot be enforced. Moreover

                        >both sides must receive something of value in order for a contract

                        >to exist. The safest way to respond to an offer may be to ignore it.

                        >In that case there is no contract.

                        >If one gives something to another without compensation, it's a gift

                        >and it must have been given without any doubt. The mere claim that

                        >the recipient thought it was a gift is insufficient.

                        >Finally, in the absence of a specific agreement, copyright is always

                        >retained by the author.

                        >regards, Paul

                        You can consent to, or waive a copyright infringement without

                        any"consideration"

                        being offered, accepted or exchanged. No contract need be involved.

                        Ron McCann

                        Barrister & Solicitor

                        (Retired).

                        <!--