Copyright Infringement

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2007
      I was unpleasantly surprised this morning by a
      note from Andrew Smith informing me that he had
      run across a book on Amazon purporting to contain
      my interlinear version of Thomas:

      The Secret Things: The Hidden Wisdom
      of the Gospel of Thomas by Gary W Hudson.
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/0977851710

      According to the publisher's blurb (Vesica Press):
      "Together for the first time is the authoritative Grondin
      interlinear Coptic/English translation of The Gospel of
      Thomas, the Thomas O. Lambdin translation and a
      deeply considered interpretation based on a
      personal experience of spiritual awakening."

      I cannot even be pleased that my interlinear was
      called 'authoritative' (which it is not), since I've never
      been in contact with this Gary Hudson, hence have
      obviously _not_ given him permission to use my
      work. I think it's safe to say that he didn't get permission
      to use the Lambdin translation either. Vesica Press
      (http://www.vesicapress.com/) appears to be a small
      publishing house, possibly owned by Hudson himself,
      which evidently pays no attention to copyright laws.
      I've written to them, and will report their response, if
      any, but in the meantime, I want it to be clear that I
      have no connection whatever with this book. (If other
      members have had similar experiences with copyright
      infringement, or have any personal advice as to how
      to deal with this matter, that would be most welcome.)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
    • Tom Hickcox
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2007
        At 12:01 1/19/2007 , Michael Grondin wrote:

        >I cannot even be pleased that my interlinear was
        >called 'authoritative' (which it is not), since I've never
        >been in contact with this Gary Hudson, hence have
        >obviously _not_ given him permission to use my
        >work. I think it's safe to say that he didn't get permission
        >to use the Lambdin translation either. Vesica Press
        >(http://www.vesicapress.com/) appears to be a small
        >publishing house, possibly owned by Hudson himself,
        >which evidently pays no attention to copyright laws.
        >I've written to them, and will report their response, if
        >any, but in the meantime, I want it to be clear that I
        >have no connection whatever with this book. (If other
        >members have had similar experiences with copyright
        >infringement, or have any personal advice as to how
        >to deal with this matter, that would be most welcome.)

        One is able to post reviews of books on Amazon's site.

        Have you considered posting a "review" which points out that your material
        was used w/o permission? Or perhaps a colleague could do it.

        Tom Hickcox, Baton Rouge
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2007
          Hi Mike-

          Gee, there is certainly a lot of sensible advice from folks on this
          outrageous situation, all of which could be pursued. In any case, what ever
          steps you take, and in whatever sequence you take those steps, I assure you
          it is best to take action immediately.

          The advice to post a "review" of the book on the Amazon is especially
          intriguing. I'll order a copy and submit the first "review."

          If anyone else wants to look at the thing so they can submit their own
          "review", contact me off-list and I'll figure out a way to ship it to you.

          Rick Hubbard
          Humble Maine Woodsman