Latest on the Nancy Johnson Translation

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2006
      I've finally gotten a response from the owner of the
      Reluctant-Messenger site (Stephen Boston). He
      informs me (through his message-group, which
      I joined for this purpose) that he got his copy of
      the thing from the media.isnet.org site, which in
      turn appears to be a Dutch site which has an old
      copy of Steve Davies' mainpage - before he removed
      the link to the NJ file some five years ago. How much
      before is unclear, but Mr. Boston must have copied
      the file in that interim period. In any case, he has now
      (without any suggestion from me, BTW) copied the
      note that appears at the top of my Pico Iyer page to
      his Nancy Johnson page. That isn't what I would have
      suggested, but it seems better than nothing. Here's
      what he wrote to his discussion group:

      ----------------begin quote---------------------------------------

      Source: The Gospel According to Thomas: With
      Complementary Texts
      ed. Raghavan Iyer, Concord Grove Press, 1983.
      (Elsewhere on the web, this translation has been credited
      to a Nancy Johnson. There is no such translator by that name.
      This work has either been plagiarized or carelessly attributed
      to the wrong person. - Mike Grondin, Nov, 2006)

      Please note I [Mr. Boston] added this to the beginning
      of the Gospel of Thomas attributed to Nancy Johnson
      http://reluctant-messenger.com/gospel-thomas-Nancy_Johnson.htm

      --------------------end quote------------------------------------------

      Unfortunately, at the top of his page, he's left the line
      "Translated by Nancy Johnson", and my note by itself
      doesn't indicate the name of the real author. To display
      that information, Mr. Boston would have had to have also
      copied the line that reads "As Rendered by Pico Iyer",
      which he didn't do. Oh, well. I had my doubts he would
      do anything at all, but if I'd known someone might do
      this, I would've paid more attention to the wording.

      In other news, I see that Google now shows Steve D's old file
      http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davies/thomas/JOHNSON.HTM
      in high position on a "NJ+GTh" search. Drats. Searchers
      can still find it, copy it, and post it to their sites. Steve might
      well want to keep the contents somewhere, but maybe
      there's something he could do to prevent its dissemination
      in its current form from his Misercordia account?