RE: [GTh] The Strange Case of the Nancy Johnson Translation

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hmmm. Just slowed down for the week and re-read this. I didn't *mean* to
      sound arrogant and dismissive, but I suspect that's how this probably comes
      across. From my perspective, paraphrases or 'renderings' are useful for
      texts that have been around for a very long time, so that people are so
      familiar with them that they take them for granted and don't really *read*
      them. A paraphrase can highlight a different way of understanding the text
      to the traditional reading of it. What it usually does for me is to send me
      back to the original to see if you can *really* get that from it.

      My personal experience makes me very wary of people who twist text so that
      they can use it as the basis of some unhelpful theology or another. Mostly
      I have worked with text that I (and they) regard as Scripture, and therefore
      authoratitive, so there is much more at stake than there is when you're more
      interested in what the people who wrote it and used it understood it to
      mean, which is how I work with Thomas.

      So I think the point I was *trying* to make was that paraphrases/renderings
      have their place, but I don't think it's in "scholarly" examination of texts
      and I am not sure that Thomas has had the time to get so stale that there's
      a big need for a paraphrase/rendering.

      Judy